How to make chole , chickpeas curry recipe
Chole recipe is a hugely popular recipe that can be made at home easily. This is a traditional dish from Punjab and often regarded as Punjabi chole masala.
We are going to make a easy chole recipe with step by step pictures and video.
There is no special tricks to make a restaurant or dhaba style chole recipe at home. Just follow some simple step by step tips. You can make a taste and chatpata chole recipe at home.
This is the first step to make the dried chole which is known as garbanzo beans in English soft and cook easily. It is also known as Chickpeas or Bengal gram. Kabuli chana is another popular term of it in India.
Take the chickpeas in a deep vessel utensil and add enough water to soak overnight or atleast 3 - 4 hours.
Next day they you can see them become almost double in size. This happens due to a molecular process called osmosis.
Drain and wash them nicely for 2 -3 times. Add them in a pressure cooker with tea bags, some whole spices and salt. Cook them for 8 to 10 whistles in medium high heat flame or around 10 minutes. Remove the cooker and let the steam pass naturally. There is no need to add some baking soda. Open the lid and check them. If little hard then go for 2 more whistles.
Masala for chole
The taste of chole should be little tangy. Then it become more yummy and tasty. Generally the store brought chole masala has that tangy flavour in it so if you use them then 'no need to add any amchur powder in the recipe.
If not using chole masala then you can add dried Amla while boiling them. And use amchur powder or some tamarind paste to make it little bit tangy.
Gravy for chole
The gravy for chole should be thick and masaledar. Use pureed onion and tomato. For 2 cup chickpeas use around four medium size onion and 5 tomatoes. Use some mashed boiled chickpeas into the gravy to make it more thick and tasty.
Tadka(tempering) for chole
This is a important step to give the chole its traditional flavour. Ginger and green chili with deshi ghee make a perfect chole tadka. Use Julienne ginger and slits green chili for that. You can additionally add some garlic into the tadka.
Serving the chole
The real taste of chole comes when served with chopped onion and lemon wedges. They are inseparable. Add some chopped onion and lemon juice over the chole to double its taste.
Bhature or puri is the best choice while serving chole. You can easily make bhature at home while making the chole. Bhature is made from maida and deep fried in hot oil till light golden.
For that use maida(all purpose flour), curd and suji rawa( semolina) while making the dough. Rest the dough for 30 minutes to set and then roll and deep fry to serve chole bhature.
Kulcha, onion kulcha and amritsari kulcha are popular choice to serve with chole.
How to make Amritsari chole
Amritsar is the capital city of Punjab and chole from there is one of the most popular chole recipe you can try. Amritsari chole is served with a kulcha known as amritsari kulcha.
Anar Dana( pomegranate seeds) , carom seeds (ajwain) and amchur powder are some additional ingredients to make a amritsari chole. Use carom seeds before frying the pureed onions. And crush dried pomegranate seeds in a mixer grinder and add them with amchur powder and other spices while making the gravy.
You can make this chole recipe for Jain faith as well. Escape to use pureed onions and ginger garlic paste in the recipe. Add some more mashed chickpeas to make the chole gravy thick. This is the easy procedure to make a chole recipe without onion and garlic.
Similarly you can avoid to use tomato as well to make a chole recipe.
Steps to make the recipe
1. First soak the chickpeas overnight with enough water or for atleast 3 - 4 hours. This will make the chickpeas soft and digestible. There is a molecular process called osmosis makes the chickpeas soft.
2. Next morning drain and wash them nicely for 2 - 3 times. Then in a pressure cooker add them with the whole spices like green cardamom, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and tea bags.
3. Add 5 cup water and close the lid of the cooker. Cook them for 8 - 10 whistles in medium high heat flame.
4. After that remove the cooker and let the steam pass naturally. Open the lid and drain them with the help of a strainer.
5. Discard the whole spices and reserved the water to use in gravy.
6. Heat 2 teaspoon cooking oil in a deep vessel skillet and add the grated or pureed onions. Fry them till light brown in colour.
7. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes. Then pour the tomato puree. Stir nicely and cook for 8 - 10 minutes so that the tomatoes get cooked properly.
8. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, Coriander powder and chole masala powder. Mix and fry the masala for one minute. If it become dry add some water to cook the masala.
9. Now add the boiled chole and mix nicely with the masala. Pour the reserved water and salt as per taste.
10. Add the mashed. Chickpeas and stir to incorporate. Close the skillet with a lid and cook for 8 - 10 minutes to thicken the chole gravy.
11. After that add water according to your desired consistency of the gravy. Sprinkle sone crushed fenugreek and chopped coriander leaves into the chole gravy and mix. Switch off the gas and remove the chole. You can serve it now or give a tadka and serve.
12. For making the tadka(tempering) heat 1 teaspoon pure ghee in a pan. Add Julienne ginger and slits green chili. Fry till light brown. Pour this tadka over the chole and serve.
Popular Punjabi recipes to make
Benefits to include chickpeas in diets
- Good source of fiber and protein
- Good for weight management and bone health
- Support blood sugar control
- Benefits digestion
- Protect against certain chronic diseases
For more details you can read Health line article.
Chole (chickpeas) recipe is a popular Punjabi recipe made with lots of flavoured spices and chole masala powder. Soaked chickpeas are boiled and seasoned with tomato onion gravy with spices. Goes well with bhature or puri.
Prep time cooking time serving
15 min 40 min 5
Author Mobasir hassan
For boiling the chole
- 2 cup chole (chickpeas)
- 1 bay leaf (tez patta)
- 3 - 4 green cardamom ( elaichi)
- 1 inch cinamom stick (dalchini)
- 4 - 5 peppercorns ( kalimirch)
- 2 - 3 cloves (lung)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tea bags
- 5 cups water
For making the gravy
- 3 medium big onions pureed
- 4 medium size tomato pureed
- 1 big teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 big teaspoon chole masala
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fenugreek leaves
- 3 teaspoon cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1 green chili slits
- 1 inch ginger cut into julienne
- Some chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon pure ghee
How to make the recipe
- Soak the chole( chickpeas) overnight with enough water to be soften and digestible.
- Drain and wash them for 2 - 3 times next morning.
- In a pressure cooker add the chole, tea bags, green cardamom, cinamom stick, bay leaf, black peppercorns and salt.
- Pour 5 cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook them in medium high flame for 8 - 9 whistles or for around 10 to 12 minutes.
- After that remove the cooker and let the steam pass naturally.
- Drain and remove the whole spices. Keep the water reserved to use in the chole gravy.
Making the gravy for chole
- Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a deep vessel pan or kadai. When the oil become hot add the pureed or chopped onions.
- Fry the onions till they become light brown. Then add 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste and fry till their raw smell goes.
- Now add the tomato puree and give a nice stir to mix with the onions.
- Cook them for 8 - 10 minutes so that the tomatoes get cooked properly.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/3 teaspoon cumin powder and 1 big teaspoon chole masala powder.
- Mix and cook the masala for 1 minute. If it become dry add 2 - 3 teaspoon water and cook the masala.
Making the chole
- Add the boiled chickpeas stir and mix nicely with the masala. Pour the reserved water and salt as per taste.
- Now add the mashed chickpeas into the gravy and cover. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes to thicken the gravy.
- After that add water according to your desired consistency of the chole gravy.
- Add crushed fenugreek leaves, chopped coriander leaves mix with the chole and remove.
- Heat one teaspoon pure ghee in a pan and fry slits green chili and ginger julienne till light crisp.
- Pour this tadka over the chole and serve them.
Chole(chickpeas) recipe video
- Calories : 204
- Fats : 7 g
- Protein : 7 g
- Carbohydrate : 25 g
• Chole is best to serve with bhature or puri. Breads likes tandoori roti, naan and Paratha can be served with it as well.
• Chopped onion and lemon wedges are a must to serve with chole.
• This chole recipe is not spicy. Add some green chili paste to make it spicy according to your taste.
More popular recipes