Hot and sour soup
How to make hot and sour soup
Hot and sour is a spicy soup can be made either as a veg or non veg depending upon the choice. It is basically a Chinese soup. Below you can read this hot and sour soup recipe from scratch with step by step photos and video.
This is a easy hot and sour soup recipe that you can easily make at home. I have not used some dried mushrooms like Shitake mushroom and bamboo shoots in this recipe.
What's in hot and sour soup
In hot and sour soup there are different types of vegetables of your choices like french beans, carrot, cabbage and mushroom are used. Herbs like ginger, garlic, green chili and bamboo shoots are used. And sauces like dark soya sauce, red chilly sauce and vinegar are used to flavour it.
What makes hot and sour soup spicy
Due to the use of red chilly sauce, green chilies, pepper powder and ginger makes hot and sour soup spicy.
What happens if schezwan sauce is added to hot and sour soup?
Schezwan sauce with make it little bit more spicy and hot. And will give the sauce a nice colour.
Is hot and sour soup a good appetizer?
Ofcourse hot and sour is a good appetizer. It can stimulate one's appetite and arouses or increases anticipation for what is to follow.
Can we add apple cider vinegar for preparing hot and sour soup?
You can add it while making the soup. It can increase the flavours of your soup with its fruity and tangy flavour. And also it has more health benefits.
Stock for hot and sour soup
You can use a fresh homemade vegetable stock in hot and sour soup to make it more nutritious and taste. Simmer vegetables like carrot, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms and onions on slow flame fire for 3 - 4 hours. Then stain the vegetables and use the stock to make the soup. In this way you can use vegetables stock to make hot and sour soup.
Hot and sour is a popular healthy soup and has plenty of health benefits. In winter you can make this soup at home to improve the immunity of your family members. People are using this soup for cold from old days. It has the potential to fight again cold and flu. Herbs like ginger can cure sore throat as well.
If you love this recipe then I am sure you would love the recipe of
Benefits of hot and sour soup
- It can warm up our bodies in winter and help to fight against cold and flu symptoms.
- Vegetables used in the soup offers fiber, minerals and vitamins as they are lightly cooked
- Ginger used in the soup has the potential to fight against cold and can cure sore throat as well due to its anti inflammatory properties.
- In fever, one cup of this soup can provide energy, minerals and vitamins.
- In some version of this soup, shitake mushroom is used which can lower the cholesterol levels.
Below I am sharing the restaurant style hot and sour soup recipe. In restaurants, we used white pepper powder instead of black pepper powder to give it a nice aromatic flavour.
You can cook hot and sour soup easily at home at the comfort of your kitchen to enjoy with your family and friends this winter. You need to cook the herbs and vegetables in high flame. And add the mushrooms when the vegetables are partially cooked.
Hot and sour (hot & sour) soup recipe
Best hot and sour soup recipe made from scratch. Healthy vegetables and herbs like ginger, garlic and green chilies are used to make this soup. A healthy soup to fight against cold, flu and sore throat hot and sour soup.
Prep time cooking time serving
15 min 8 min. 3
Author : Mobasir hassan
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped french beans
- 1/2 cup finely sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon green chilli paste
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped bamboo shoots (optional)
- 2 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 2 teaspoon red chilly sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- Small pinch of sugar
- Small handful of chopped spring onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cooking oil
How to make the recipe
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a pan or wok in high flame and add the chopped ginger and garlic.
- Saute them till light brown. Add the chopped french beans, cabbage, carrot.
- Saute them for 1 minute in high flame.
- Pour 3 cup water and simmer for 2 more minutes.
Make hot and sour soup
- Add green chili paste, dark soya sauce, red chilly sauce, vinegar and mix nicely.
- Add the mushroom slices, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon white pepper powder.
- Simmer the soup for one more minute.
- Make a slurry with 2 teaspoon corn flour and 1/2 cup water and pour into the soup and mix well.
- Pour few chopped spring onions and simmer until the soup thicken.
- Taste the seasoning and pour a small pinch of sugar into the soup.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and remove the soup to serve.
Hot and sour soup recipe video
( Serving size 1 cup)
- Calories : 100
- Fats : 1 g
- Protein : 3 g
- Carbohydrate : 15 g
• Dark soya sauce and red chilly sauce contains salt. So use less amount of salt in the recipe.
• Use of white pepper powder is optional, you can use black pepper powder instead of it.
• Cook the vegetables partially and add mushroom after pouring the sauces.
Hot and sour soup recipe step by step with photos for better understanding...
1. Keep ready all your vegetables and sauces before starting to make the recipe.
2. Heat half teaspoon oil in a deep vessel pan. Add one teaspoon each chopped garlic and ginger
3. Saute them in high flame till light brown.
4. Add the vegetables chopped beans, carrot and cabbage one by one and saute for one minute in high flame heat.
5. Pour 3 cup water or vegetable stock into the pan and let simmer.
6. Cook the vegetables partially for 2 minutes. Then lower the flame.
7. Add the green chili paste, dark soya sauce, red chilly sauce and vinegar. Stir to mix them nicely.
8. Add the mushrooms, half teaspoon salt and white pepper powder and simmer for another minute.
10. Make a slurry by mixing 2 teaspoon corn flour with half cup of water and pour into the soup.
11. Add some chopped spring onions and simmer till the soup become thick in consistency.
12. Taste the seasoning and add a small pinch of sugar to balance the taste.
13. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions over the soup and remove.
14. Serve with vinegar soaked chilli, dark soya sauce and red chilly sauce.
Make more popular recipes