Veg manchurian | veg manchurian dry
Manchurian are everyone's favorite. They are especially for all the foodies and cooking enthusiast.
Veg manchurian are versatile, yummy and extremely easy to make. If you have been looking for a easy veg manchurian recipe at home, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make the best veg manchurian recipe at home from scratch.
What is veg manchurian ?
Veg manchurian is crispy fried mix vegetables dumplings (balls) tossed with a sweet, tangy and spicy manchurian sauce. Vegetables like cabbage, carrot and French beans are used along with spices to make small round shape balls, which are deep fried till crisp golden.
The word manchurian refer to a community of North East China's Manchuria region. People of that region were known as Manchus or manchurian.
Veg manchurian are mainly two types
- Veg manchurian dry
- Veg manchurian gravy
Ingredients for veg manchurian
Vegetables : Most preferred vegetables for veg manchurian recipe are cabbage, carrot and French beans. You can add some more vegetables according to your choice.
Flour : Corn flour and maida (all purpose flour) are used.
Herbs : Ginger , garlic, spring onion, green chilli and onion.
Sauces : Good quality dark soya sauce, red chilly sauce and schezwan sauce.
Paneer ; Adding paneer made the dish more rich and healthy. We generally use grated paneer while making veg manchurian balls at restaurant. It increases the taste and also makes the manchurian balls soft from inside.
Oil : Any good quality vegetable oil.
Other spices : salt and white pepper powder.
Veg manchurian dry is generally served as a snacks or appetizer. You can serve sweet chilli sauce or schezwan sauce as a side dish with it.
Veg manchurian gravy is served as a side dish along with fried rice and noodles.
How to make manchurian sauce for veg manchurian balls ?
This manchurian sauce is very popular and use to make some other popular dishes like chicken manchurian, gobi manchurian or cabbage manchurian.
You can easily make this sauce by first frying chopped ginger, garlic and onion till light brown. Next pour some water and simmer for some seconds. Then add dark soya sauce, red chilly sauce, green chili paste or sauce, salt and pepper. Cook the sauce for a while then make a slurry by mixing corn flour with water. Pour this slurry in the sauce and simmer for a minute or till the sauce become thick. Sprinkle some chopped green scallions and your manchurian sauce is ready. You can add a small pinch of sugar to balance the taste and give it a sweet taste also. In restaurants, red chilly paste are often used to make the sauce more glossy.
Here I am sharing both veg manchurian dry and veg manchurian gravy recipe.
Ingredients are same for both the recipe. If you are making the gravy version then increase the amount of chopped onions and green chili paste. Pour a cup of water for the gravy consistency.
In this recipe, I have used less amount of chillies as my kids prefer less spicy foods. You can adjust the spices according to your taste. Method of preparation for both the recipe are same.
Tips to make restaurant style veg manchurian
- Use chopped garlic, ginger and green chili while making the manchurian dough to make the balls. Adding small amount of schezwan sauce also increase the flavour.
- Use white pepper powder instead of black pepper powder while making the sauce.
- If possible add some grated paneer with the vegetables to make manchurian balls. It will make the balls soft from inside and make them more healthy. Use of paneer also reduce the amount of flour in the dough.
If you love the veg manchurian recipe then I am sure you would love the following recipes as well.
Steps to make veg manchurian
Dough making ( how to make manchurian ball)
Keep all the vegetables ready by your side. You can either finely chopped the vegetables or grate them using a grater. Go for the easy one that suite you best. . Next grate the paneer without any big chunks.
In a mixing bowl, add the chopped or grated vegetables,, grated paneer, chopped ginger, garlic, chopped green chili, schezwan sauce (optional), salt , corn flour and maida
Start to knead them to make a palpable soft dough. If required sprinkle some water to make the dough smooth. Make sure the dough wouldn't become watery.
Now divide the dough into equal small parts and roll them between the palm of hands to make round shape balls. Heat oil in a kadai or pan over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low.
Now carefully add the balls one by one and fry till crisp golden. Keep the gas flame to low so that the balls get well cooked from inside as well. Remove them in a kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil. This is how you can make veg manchurian balls.
Making dry veg manchurian recipe
Heat half tablespoon oil in a pan and fry one tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic till light brown. Add chopped onions and fry till the onion becomes translucent under high flame heat.
Then pour little water and simmer for a while. Add dark soya sauce, red chilly paste, schezwan sauce and mix well. To make it more spicy, add half tablespoon green chili paste.
Cook the sauce for few seconds then add the fried manchurian balls and mix well with the sauce. Add salt and white pepper powder. You can use black pepper powder in place of white pepper powder.
Now make a slurry by mixing 1 tablespoon corn flour with one cup water and pour slowly in the pan. Simmer or a while or till the sauce start to thicken. Toss the manchurian balls nicely with the sauce so that the balls get well coated with the sauce. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and remove. Serve the manchurian dry hot immediately.
Making veg manchurian gravy
After frying chopped ginger and garlic, add half cup of chopped onions and fry till the onions become translucent.
Pour a cup of water or as required gravy consistency and simmer for a while. Then add one teaspoon dark soya sauce, one teaspoon red chilly sauce, half teaspoon schezwan sauce and half teaspoon green chilli paste. Mix and cooking the sauce for a while.
Now add the fried manchurian balls, salt and white pepper powder and cook them for one minute. Make a slurry by mixing corn flour with water and pour slowly. and simmer until the sauce start to become thick. Adjust the seasoning and thickness of the gravy. Sprinkle some chopped spring onion and remove the manchurian gravy to serve hot.
Simmer until the sauce start to become thick. Adjust the seasoning and thickness of the gravy. Sprinkle some chopped spring onion and remove the manchurian gravy to serve hot.
Veg manchurian without maida can be prepared as well. If you are using paneer then you can escape to use maida. Use rice flour to make veg manchurian. Rice flour can make them crispy like corn flour.
You can use vegetables of your choices but most preferred vegetables are cabbage, carrot and beans.
Can you store veg manchurian dry dish for overnight at home?
No you can not store a dish like veg manchurian dry overnight as it will become soggy and too soft to handle. Dishes like this which are coated with sauces like dark soya sauce and red chilly sauce are not stored.
Fried manchurian balls which are not coated with sauces can be store in a fridge for 1 to 2 days and for 10 to 15 days in a deep freezer.
What can I make with leftover manchurian balls?
The best option is to make manchurian fried rice with the leftover manchurian balls.
Veg Manchurian rice
Manchurian fried rice is one pot meal loaded with vegetables, sauces and manchurian balls. While making the dry manchurian recipe add some sliced or chopped vegetables like capsicum, red and yellow bell pepper. After tossing the manchurian balls in the sauces add a cup of boiled rice and mix well.
Stir in high flame for 1 minute. Taste the seasoning, add some salt and white pepper powder. Sprinkle chopped spring onions and ready to serve.
Veg Manchurian recipe
Veg manchurian recipe is a easy to make recipe at home with vegetables like cabbage,carrot and beans. This Chinese manchurian recipe can be prepared as a dry and gravy version. Enjoy the restaurant style veg manchurian recipe with your family.
Prep time cooking time serving
20 min. 15 min 3
Author : Mobasir hassan
For manchurian balls
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped french beans
- 1/2 cup finely grated paneer
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped green chili
- 3 teaspoon corn flour
- 2 teaspoon all purpose flour ( maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon schezwan sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For manchurian sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon schezwan sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1/3 cup chopped spring onions
How to make the recipe
- In a mixing bowl add the chopped cabbage, carrot, french beans, grated paneer, chopped garlic, ginger, green chili, salt, schezwan sauce, corn flour and all purpose flour.
- Mix everything nicely to make palpable dough. If required pour little water.
- Divide the dough into equal size small balls and deep fry them till crisp golden.
- Remove them in a kitchen towel or paper to absorb any excess oil.
Making veg Manchurian dry
- Heat half teaspoon oil in a pan and fry one teaspoon ginger and garlic till light brown.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped onions and fry till translucent in high flame.
- Pour little water and simmer for a while. Then add one teaspoon dark soya sauce, half teaspoon red chilly sauce and 1/3 teaspoon schezwan sauce.
- Cook for 30 seconds and then add half of the fried manchurian balls and mix well with the sauces
- Add 1/3 teaspoon salt, half teaspoon white pepper powder and mix .
- Pour corn flour slurry into the manchurian and cook until thickens.
- Pour some chopped spring onions and remove. Serve them hot.
Making veg manchurian gravy
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a deep vessel pan and fry 1 teaspoon chopped ginger and garlic till light brown.
- Add half cup chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Pour half cup of water and simmer.
- Add 1 teaspoon dark soya sauce,, 1 teaspoon red chilly sauce, half teaspoon schezwan sauce and mix well.
- Add half teaspoon chopped green chili and the remaining fried manchurian balls.
- Add 1/3 teaspoon salt and half teaspoon white pepper powder and mix nicely.
- Pour 3 to 4 teaspoon corn flour slurry by mixing 1 teaspoon corn flour with half cup water.
- Simmer until the gravy become thickens to desired thickness.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and remove the manchurian gravy to serve hot with fried rice and noodles.
Veg manchurian recipe video (gravy)
(Serving size 2 - 3 balls)
- Calories : 183
- Fats: 10 g
- Protein : 3 g
- Carbohydrate : 19 g
- In place of white pepper powder, you can use black pepper. White pepper will give you the restaurant style flavours.
- Use of paneer is optional. It can make the manchurian balls nutritious and soft from inside.
For more recipes