Gilafi chicken Seekh | Seekh Kebab
Seekh Kebab or kabab is the most popular kebab among all kababs or tikkas . If we heard about Seekh Kebab , we imagine a plate of juicy and succulent kabab with mint leaves, Lachcha onion, lemon wedges and green chutney. Making seekh kebab is like an art, you need good practice and patience. Gilafi Kebabs are traditionally grilled in a charcoal tandoor to perfection, giving them a smoky and charred flavor. They can also be prepared in an oven or on a stovetop with the same delicious results. The result is a tantalizing kebab with a perfect balanced of flavours and textures, the marinated meat is juicy and tender. While the gilaf provides a burst of freshness and crunch. It is a delightful kebab that showcase the richness of Mughlai cuisine.
What is Seekh Kebab? Meaning of seekh kebab
Seekh Kebab is cylindrical shaped kebab made by using minced or ground meat, marinated with spices and arranged in an iron Shewer cylindrically and then cooked over charcoal fire either in barbeque or Ovalclay tandoor. Seekh Kebab is generally made using either chicken , Lamb or beef mince.
But there are some vegetarian version of the seekh kebab recipe available that you can try and enjoy.
Gilafi Seekh Kebab is defined as marinated chicken minced placed over a shewers in cylindrical shape covering with chopped vegetables and cooked over charcoal fire. This seekh kebab is one of best minced kebab that you can try.
Gilaf means cover and thus Gilafi means covering . So Gilafi Seekh Kebab means a Seekh Kebab with a covering. To gilaf we use chopped bell peppers, capsicum and onions. After shaping the Seekh Kebab, these chopped peppers are then used to cover it . Kebabs are generally considered as a healthy food as they are not deep fried, less amount of oil is used to make them . So a chicken Seekh Kebab is also considered as a healthy food . Because it is prepared using open fire and no oil or less amount of oil is used.
The origin of Gilafi Kebab is quite fascinating. This delicious kebab has its roots in the Indian subcontinent, specifically in the Mughal cuisine. The Mughals were known for their rich and flavorful culinary traditions. Gilafi Kebab gets its name from the word "Gilaf," which means"cover" or "coat" in Urdu. The name is derived from the way this kebab is prepared. It involves covering the marinated meat with a flavorful mixture of minced vegetables and spices before cooking it.
If you want to know more about Parsley and it's benefits then here is a article for you Parsley in Hindi.
Steps to make seekh kebab
Roughly cut the chicken pieces and mix with garlic, ginger , green chili and mint leaves. Now using a meat mincer make a mince of the chicken pieces. For chicken it is sufficient to make a single round mincing..
For Lamb or beef , it is good to make two rounds of mincing.
After mincing , the chicken become sticky So if we use wet hand , they won't stick to our hands.
Take a Shewer and place the minced chicken ball length wise in a cylindrical shape around the Shewer.
Using wet hand helps not to get break down the Seekh Kebab and also help for a smooth shaping the Kebab.
Now place the chopped bell peppers and capsicum over the Seekh. They will get stick easily over the chicken. So just pressed lightly over the Kebab.
Clarified butter will help not to dry the Seekh Kebab while cooking. Don't worry for using the clarified butter as it will get burnt while cooking.
This is the best thing when we cook food over a charcoal fire , the excess oil get burnt over the charcoal. So we don't have to worry for any health issues.
After the said time you can notice that the Seekh Kebab become firm and brown. Juice start to run from the Shewer.
Therefore carefully remove the Kebab from the Shewer and cut into pieces and serve.
Using stove top method you can make Seekh Kebab but you won't get that authentic taste as using over charcoal.
You can use sate like sticks to Shewer the chicken mince and roast them over a non stick pan in slow flame. Or make a two inch bullet shape Seekh Kebab and stick the chopped bell peppers over them and roast or grill on a pan over slow flame .
You need to cook them further two minutes in a micro wave oven .
If you love chicken Gilafi Seekh Kebab recipe then I am sure you would love the recipe of Lamb Gilafi Seekh Kebab recipe as well.
Which part of chicken are used to make Seekh kabab?
To make the Seekh Kebab we are going to use leg boneless of chicken . Because leg boneless chicken pieces makes Seekh Kebab soft and juicy.
If you use chicken breast pieces then the Seekh Kebab will become hard and dry.
You can try some best chicken recipe at home
Chicken Gilafi Seekh Kebab recipe
Chicken or Murgh Gilafi Seekh Kebab is a popular kebab recipe where mince chicken are shew in a shewer and covered with some finely chopped vegetables like onion, capsicum and bell peppers.
Prep time cooking time serving
Author :- Mobasir hassan
- 200 gm chicken leg boneless
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin( jeera powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 - 9 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1-2 green chili ( or paste)
- 2 teaspoon fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cilantro leafs ( Coriander )
- 1/3 teaspoon chat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon pure ghee ( optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 medium size red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium size yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 medium size capsicum
- 1/2 medium size onion ( optional)
How to make the recipe
- Roughly cut the chicken pieces and mix with ginger, garlic, green chillies and mint leaves.
- Using a meat mincer make a fine mince with the above chicken pieces.
- Take the mince in a mixing bowl and mix with lemon juice, cumin powder, garam masala, black pepper powder, chat masala, salt and coriander leaves.
- Give everything a fine mix by kneading two to three times.
- Keep it refrigerated to marinate for one hour. Meantime chopped the bell peppers, capsicum and onion.
- After the marination period, bring the minced chicken and knead again and divide into small equal size balls.
- Take a Shewer and with a wet hand start to thread the mince chicken around the shewer in cylindrical shape.
- Wet palm of hand not only help to thread the kebab smoothly but also help not to get stick the mince in hands.
- Now take the chopped bell peppers and start to cover the chicken Seekh by placing them all over the Seekh.
- Slightly press while placing them over the Seekh Kebab.
- If using wooden sticks then soak them in water for 30 minutes and start to shewer.
- Preheat oven to 240° C for 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place the Gilafi Seekh Kebab on it. Bake them for 15 minutes or till done.
- While baking remove the tray after 10 minutes and flip the Seekh Kebabs.Brush some oil or butter on them and bake.
- Using charcoal Tandoor :- place the shewer inside a preheated tandoor and cook for 7 - 8 minutes.
- While cooking rotate the Shewer and brush some butter on them.n
- When Seekh Kebab start to become firm and juice start to run from them, remove them from tandoor.g
- Using a kitchen towel remove them from the Shewer and cut into pieces.
- Sprinkle some chat masala and cilantro leaves and serve hot with mint chutney, lemon wedges and onion slice.
Video for chicken Gilafi Seekh Kebab
Nutritional value( serving size 1= 66g)
- Calories :- 93. | Protein :- 12 g
- Fats :- 2 g | Carbohydrate :- 4 g
- Seekh Kebabs are generally served with Lachcha or ring onion , lemon wedges , green Chutney and some fresh mint leaves.
- Breads like tandoori roti or naan are also good to serve with Seekh Kebabs.
- You can use pure ghee while mixing all ingredients with the minced chicken. Ghee will make your Seekh Kebab more soft and juicy.
- While handling the Shewers use a kitchen towel to avoid getting burnt.
- If using chicken breast pieces for Seekh Kebab then mix some fats to avoid dryness.