Hariyali kabab (Chicken hariyali kabab)
A herbal kabab with full of fresh spices known as Chicken hariyali kabab. Read the recipe with step by step instructions and a short video how to make chicken hariyali kabab.
What is hariyali kabab
Hariyali is a hindi word means greenish. The kabab which are greenish in color are known as hariyali kabab. Hariyali kabab are also popularly known as green kabab or herbal kabab due to the uses of fresh cilantro leaves, mint leaves and spinach leaves. A fine paste or puree of these herbs are mixed with yoghurt and other spices to make a marination.
Among them Chicken hariyali kabab is the most popular kabab which are made with boneless pieces either of leg or breast.
Chicken hariyali kabab is very popular in Punjab and other parts of India. Very common in restaurants menu card. Due to the uses of fresh herbs people prefer hariyali kabab. They are healthy and tasty.
Tips to make best hariyali kabab
- Use fresh herbs like coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, garlic and green chili.
- To give it nice green color use fresh spinach (palak) along with mint and coriander leaves.
- Use two step marination for juicy, succulent and tender pieces of hariyali kabab.
- Use roasted gram flour ( besan) in marination to coat the masala nicely with the chicken pieces.
- Before serving sprinkle some chat masala and lemon juice.
Steps to make hariyali kabab
Making any kabab or tikka, marination is the one and only important things one should care about. Without a proper marination procedure you can not make a juicy, succulent and tender kabab.
Being in this hospitality professional for more than 10 years, I have seen and always used two step marination method to make a kabab or tikka more tender, flavourful and juicy.
So I highly recommend you to use a two step marination while making either veg or non veg kabab or tikka.
Cut the chicken pieces into small bite size pieces and wash nicely. Pat them dry completely and apply green chili paste, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and salt.
Hariyali masala paste making
To make this paste take one cup fresh coriander leaves, half cup mint leaves and spinach (palak) leave.
Roughly chopped them and wash for 2 to 3 times. Take them in a mixing jar and add roughly chopped ginger, green chili and few garlic cloves.
Grind them into a fine paste if required add very small amount of water.
Take this paste in a mixing bowl and add hung curd, roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder, salt, chat masala, lemon juice, mustard oil and roasted gram flour.
You can use any cooking oil instead of mustard oil. Hariyali masala paste generally doesn't coat well with chicken or paneer pieces..
So we need to mix some roasted gram flour ( besan) with this paste for coating. Cashew paste also work for this.
Now whisk together everything to make the hariyali masala paste. This paste can be kept for one week in a freezer to use later.
Bring the first marinated chicken pieces and mix with this hariyali masala paste nicely and evenly so that all parts of the chicken pieces are well coated.
Keep them refrigerated for 2 to 3 hours or overnight for best result.
Cooking the kabab
By using Oven
Preheat an Oven to 240°C for 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil. I have used small iron shewer to thread the chicken. If you use wooden sticks then soak them in water for 30 minutes.
Bring the marinated chicken and keep five minutes at room temperature. And then start to thread one by one keeping a minimum gap in between them, which help to cook them properly.
Now place the chicken with the tray inside the oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes or till become crisp and tender
Brush some butter over the chicken pieces in the halfway around 8 to 10 minutes and rotate the stick or Shewer as well.
Now remove them in a garnished plate and serve hot.
Hariyali kabab in pan
You can easily cook this hariyali kabab in a pan without an oven at home.
For that heat some cooking oil in a pan over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low.
Now remove the excess marination from the chicken pieces and carefully add them on the pan one by one.
Cook them for two minutes and then flip to other side and cook for another 2 minutes.
Cook them similarly by flipping from one side to another for around 7 to 10 minutes or till become well done. When all the moisture evaporated and the chicken pieces get well coated with the masala and become crisp and tender remove.
Garnish them in a plate and serve.
In restaurants these hariyali kabab are cooked in a oval shaped charcoal tandoor over medium heat temperature. Marinated chicken pieces are thread in a long iron shewer and then placed inside the preheated tandoor.
At a certain interval these kababs are brushed with butter. It take 10 to 12 minutes to become crisp, tender and charred.
These kabab are then served with green chutney, onion slices and lemon wedges by sprinkling chat masala.
Different types of hariyali kabab
Hariyali kabab can be made with paneer also and known as hariyali paneer tikka. You can marinate cube size paneer pieces with this hariyali masala paste. And thread in a shewers to cook either in oven or tandoor.
There is another version of hariyali kabab known as hariyali seekh kabab made with mixed vegetables, green peas and spinach.
You can even make veg hariyali kabab or tikki. These are small round shaped vegetable patty either deep fried or shallow fried in a pan or tawa.
If you love hariyali kabab then I am you would love the recipe of following kabab as well.
- Chicken reshmi kabab
- Chicken Angara kabab
- Pahadi kabab
- Banjara kebab
- Malai paneer tikka
- Rozali kebab
- Chicken tikka kebab
- Chicken Seekh Kabab recipe
- Chicken malai kabab
- Chicken tikka kebab
- Tangdi kabab
- Kebab recipes
Hariyali kabab recipe
Hariyali kabab (chicken hariyali kabab) is a popular kabab with full of spices. This green color herbal chicken kabab is made with fresh cilantro, mint and spinach leaves based marination.
Prep time 15 min, cook time 15 min, serve 3
Author Mobasir hassan
- 250 gm chicken leg boneless
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup hung curd
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt or as per taste
- 1/3 tablespoon chat masala
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 - 6 green chili
- 1/2 inch ginger root
- 6 - 7 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil(or cooking oil)
- 1 tablespoon roasted gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tablespoon green chili paste
- 2 tablespoon butter for busting
- Some chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces and pat them dry completely.
- Apply half tablespoon green chili paste, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and small pinch of salt.
- Mix and rub them nicely. Cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes to marinate.
- Roughly chopped the coriander, mint and spinach leaves and wash them nicely.
- In a mixing jar add the roughly chopped leaves, green chillies, roughly chopped ginger and garlic cloves.
- Grind them into a fine paste adding very small amount of water.
- Take this paste in a mixing bowl and add hung curd, cumin powder, garam masala powder, salt, chat masala, lemon juice and mustard oil.
- Roast one tablespoon gram flour with one butter cube and mix with the masala paste.
- Now whisk together everything to make the hariyali masala paste.
- Take the first marinated chicken and add the above hariyali masala paste.
- Mix nicely so that all the chicken pieces coat evenly with the masala. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours or overnight for best result. Chicken pieces will absorb all the flavours during the marination period.
- Preheat an Oven to 240°C and line a baking tray with aluminum foil. If using wooden sticks then soak them in water for 30 minutes.
- Bring the marinated chicken and star to line in the sticks or iron shewer one by one. Keep a minimum gap in between them while threading them.
- Apply the remaining marinate over the chicken pieces and place them inside the oven with the baking tray.
- Cook them for 15 to 20 minutes or till crisp and tender.
- Bust some butter after 10 minutes while baking.
- Remove and arrange in a serving plate and serve hot with green chutney, onion slices and lemon wedges.
- Heat a non stick pan with 2 tablespoon cooking oil over medium heat flame.
- When the oil become hot lower the flame to low and add the marinated chicken pieces one by one carefully on the pan.
- Roast them for 2 minutes and then flip to another side and cook further for 2 minutes.
- Cook them 7 to 8 minutes by flipping at regular interval or till all the moisture evaporated and the chicken pieces become crisp and tender.
- Remove them in a plate and serve hot topping with some chat masala and chopped coriander leaves.
Chicken hariyali kabab recipe video
- Calorie : 442
- Fats : 28 g
- Protein : 36 g
- Carbohydrate : 16 g
- To give the kabab more greenish color you can add more spinach leaves.
- Gram flour ( besan) is only required for binding purpose as green masala generally doesn't get well coated.