How to make chicken reshmi kabab
Chicken reshmi kabab is a popular kabab of mughlai cuisine. It is mild, creamy and silky. Boneless chicken pieces are marinated in a cashew, cream and cheese based marination. You can read the step by steps recipe instructions with a video.
This Reshmi kabab recipe gives you the perfect juicy and tender pieces of chicken the way you eat at restaurants.
What is chicken reshmi kabab?
Chicken reshmi kabab or murgh reshmi kabab is a juicy , succulent and silky kabab. Due to the uses of cashew paste, fresh cream and cheese in the marination the resulting chicken become soft and silky. So the term reshmi is used for the kabab. In hindi reshmi means silky. So chicken reshmi kabab refer to a silky kabab.
Chicken reshmi kabab and chicken malai kabab are two different kabab of mughlai cuisines. Though both are rich due to the uses of cheese, cream and cashew, they have many differences.
I know many of you when visited a restaurant have seen this two kabab in menu card in different column.
Chicken malai kabab is golden whitish in colour and not many spice powder are use to make it. It is totally mild and creamy.
You can read the full recipe of chicken malai kabab to understand better.
But chicken reshmi kabab is golden yellowish and many spice powder like cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and chilli paste are use to make.
Chicken reshmi kabab with egg
In restaurant style chicken reshmi kabab sometime a resham is made with egg white to top the kabab while serving.
Egg white is beaten continuously to emulsify.
which is then topped over the cooked kabab and again cooked in tandoor or oven for 2 minutes. This is chicken reshmi kabab is made with egg.
Steps to make the recipe
Cut the chicken pieces into bite size one inch cubes. Now mix them with ginger garlic paste, green chili paste, lemon juice, salt and cooking oil. This is the first marination for the kabab. Keep them marinated for 15 to 20 minutes. This will make the kabab tender and juicy.
Making the reshmi kabab masala
Take hung curd or thick yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add ginger garlic paste, green chili paste, cashew nuts paste, fresh cream, grated cheese, cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, green cardamom powder, lemon juice, salt and cooking oil.
Whisk them nicely to make the masala paste to marinate the chicken. This masala paste is known as reshmi kabab masala. This will help the chicken to absorb all the flavours.
Now mix the first marinated chicken pieces with this masala paste nicely so that all the chicken pieces coat evenly from all sides. Keep them refrigerated to marinate for 3 to 4 hours for the best result.
Cooking the kabab
Preheat an oven to 240°C for 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil. If using wooden sticks then pre soaked them in water for 30 minutes.
Now bring the marinated chicken and start to thread one by one in a shewer. Keep a minimum gap between them while threading the chicken pieces. Apply the remaining marination paste over the chicken pieces.
Now place the shewer or wooden sticks over the tray and place it inside the oven.
Cook them for 15 minutes or till they become crisp golden from both sides. You can brush some butter or oil while cooking the kabab.
Remove then and serve hot with green chutney, onion slices and lemon wedges.
If you don't have an oven or any BBQ then you can cook chicken reshmi kabab in pan. For that heat a pan over high heat flame with one teaspoon cooking oil for 30 seconds.
After that lower the flame to low and remove the half of the cooking oil. Now add the marinated chicken pieces one by one over the pan. Remove excess marination while adding them in the pan.
Now increase the flame to medium and cook them for 2 minutes. Flip them to another sides and cook for another 2 minutes.
Cook the chicken pieces till all the marination and moisture become dry and the chicken pieces become crisp.
Remove them in a garnished plate and serve hot.
Chicken reshmi kabab recipe tandoor
If you have a tandoor then you can easily cook them with a nice smoky flavour. In hotel and restaurant, chicken reshmi kabab are cooked in a traditional charcoal tandoor.
For that thread the marinated chicken pieces in a iron shewer one by one keeping a minimum gap in between them.
Then place the shewer inside a preheated tandoor and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. While cooking rotate the Shewer so that the chicken pieces get well cooked from all sides.
Brush some butter while cooking the chicken to keep them moist. When the chicken become crisp golden, remove the shewer from tandoor.
With a kitchen towel remove the chicken pieces from the shewer on a serving plate and serve hot topping with some chopped coriander leaves and chat masala.
For more popular chicken kebab recipes
- Chicken Gilafi Seekh Kabab
- Pahadi kabab
- Banjara kebab
- Chicken tikka kebab
- Chicken Angara kabab
- Chicken tikka kabab
- Chicken tangdi kabab
- Chicken kabab
- Chermoula chicken kabab
- Chicken cafreal recipe
- Rozali kebab
- Hariyali kabab
- Chicken Seekh Kabab recipe
Chicken reshmi kabab recipe
Chicken reshmi kabab is a creamy and silky chicken kabab made with cashew, cream and cheese based marination. It is a popular mughlai cuisines kabab serve with green chutney and onion slices.
Prep time 10 min, cook time 15 min, serve 2
Author Mobasir hassan
- 200 gm chicken boneless pieces
- 1/2 cup yogurt (hung curd)
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts paste
- 2 tablespoon fresh cream
- 2 tablespoon grated cheese ( processed)
- 2tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon green chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Cut the chicken pieces into cube size pieces and mix with half of the ginger garlic paste, green chili paste, lemon juice, salt and one tablespoon cooking oil.
- Give everything a nice mix and keep marinated for 15 minutes.
- Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl and add the remaining ginger garlic paste, green chili paste, cumin powder, garam masala, fresh cream, grated cheese, green cardamom powder, turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice and cooking oil.
- Whisk everything nicely to make a masala paste. This is chicken reshmi kabab masala.
- Now add the first marinated chicken pieces into the prepared masala paste.
- Give everything a good mix so that all the chicken pieces are coated nicely with the masala paste. Keep them refrigerated to marinate for 3 to 4 hours to absorb all the flavours.
- Preheat an oven to 240°C for atleast 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
- If using wooden sticks then pre soaked them in water for 30 minutes.
- Now bring the marinated chicken pieces and start to thread one by one in a shewer or stick.
- Keep a minimum gap between the chicken pieces while threading them.
- Now place the shewer over the tray and place it inside the oven.
- Cook them for 12 to 15 minutes or till crisp golden from all sides.
- Remove and serve hit with lemon wedges, onion slices and green chutney.
- Heat a pan on high heat flame with 1 tablespoon cooking oil for 30 seconds.
- Then lower the flame to low and remove half of the cooking oil.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces one by one on the pan removing excess marination.
- Increase the flame to medium and cook them for 2 minutes. Now flip them and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Similarly cook the chicken pieces till all the marination and moisture become dry and the chicken pieces become crisp from both sides.
- Remove and serve hot.
Chicken reshmi kabab recipe video
- Calories : 60
- Fats : 3 g
- Protein : 8 g
- Carbohydrate : 1 g
- If you don't have hung curd then increase one more tablespoon cashew nuts paste while making the masala paste.
- While cooking in tandoor use a kitchen towel to handle the shewer.
- Don't forget to use lemon juice and green cardamom powder.