Chicken lababdar ( murgh lababdar) is a rich tomato onion based chicken gravy. You can make this delicious recipe at home like restaurant style with step by steps. This easy recipe is made using boneless chicken breast pieces. You can make it with leg boneless or with bone in chicken pieces as well.
But this boneless chicken gravy recipe is one of the best chicken recipe to make at home
You can even use fresh chicken tikka or leftover tikka to make chicken tikka lababdar ( murgh tikka lababdar) as well. Choices are many to make the recipe.
In restaurant style lababdar recipe grated cheese are used in the gravy and topped while serving . You can avoid it to use with cream. But cheese makes it more rich and delicious.
What is lababdar ?
Lababdar means a strong desire and complete surrender to something mainly related to many dishes. You can say one's strong desire to surrender his taste buds to a dish.
People are more familiar with butter chicken or chicken tikka masala. But chicken lababdar is not same with them. There are lots of differences between a chicken lababdar and butter chicken or with chicken tikka masala.
Chicken lababdar vs butter chicken
- Butter chicken or chicken tikka masala are made from roast or grill chicken using yoghurt based marination. But lababdar is made with fresh chicken pieces.
- Onion is not use in butter chicken whereas in chicken lababdar we use onion.
- Butter chicken is little bit sweet in taste but chicken lababdar is not sweet.
- Spice powder like garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder are not used for butter chicken but used in chicken lababdar.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Making puree for the gravy
The puree for the gravy can be made by two methods. For first one, roughly chopped the onion and tomato and boiled them with whole spices and cashew nuts for 15 - 20 min or till they become soft and messy. Cool down and remove the whole spices and make the puree in a mixer grinder.
I prefer the second method which is less time consuming and the resulting puree become more tasty as everything is fried.
First fry the whole spices with onion slices till light brown.
Then fry the sliced tomatoes till messy. And lastly fry the cashew nuts with them.
Discard the whole spices and make the puree using a mixer grinder ( blender).
2. Making lababdar
Heat one teaspoon oil in a pan and fry ginger garlic paste till raw smell goes off. Then fry the chopped onions till become light brown.
Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and turmeric powder and saute for a while.
Pour little water and cook the masala for 30 seconds.
Next add the chicken pieces and mix well with the masala and cook for 5 minutes covering the pan on medium heat flame.
Pour the above prepared tomato onion puree into the pan and cook further 5 - 7 minutes on slow flame.
Add a small pinch of salt or as per your taste into the gravy.
If the gravy become thick then pour water as required and cook the chicken till done.
Pour crushed fenugreek leaves and ghee into the gravy and mix well.
Add some grated cheese into the gravy and cook for one more minute.
Check the seasoning of the gravy and if required add some salt and spices. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and remove. Serve hot by topping with some grated cheese. Chicken lababdar is ready to enjoy with tandoori roti, naan and Paratha.
Making chicken tikka lababdar
For making this you need to marinate the chicken pieces with a yoghurt based masala paste known as tandoori masala. Thereafter roast the marinated chicken in an oven or over a pan or tawa till crisp golden. Simmer them when you make the lababdar gravy with other spices. Pour grated cheese and remove to serve the chicken tikka lababdar.
If you love Chicken lababdar recipe then I am sure you would love the recipe of Kadai chicken as well.
Chicken lababdar recipe video
Chicken lababdar recipe
Prep time 10min, cook time 15min serve 1
Author Mobasir hassan
- 150 gm chicken pieces boneless
- 1 medium size onion sliced
- 3 medium size tomato sliced
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin powder
- Small pinch of crushed fenugreek leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
- 6 - 7 cashew nuts
- 2 teaspoon grated processed cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee or butter( optional)
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan over medium heat flame and fry the whole spices bay leaf, cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon stick for 20 - 30 seconds. Then add the sliced onions and fry till light brown.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and fry till they become soft and messy. Add the cashew nuts and fry for another 10 seconds.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the above mixture into a mixer ( blender) jar after removing the whole spices.
- Grind them into a fine paste when they become cool down. Transfer the paste into a bowl to use later while making the lababdar gravy.
Making Chicken lababdar
- Now heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the ginger garlic paste till the raw smell goes off. Then add the chopped onions and fry till light brown in color.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and saute for a while.
- Pour little water and cook the masala for 30 seconds. Then add the chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes over medium high flame by covering the pan with a lid.
- Then pour the prepared puree and mix well with the chicken pieces and cook for another 5 - 7 minutes. Add salt as per your taste. If the gravy become thick, pour little water and cook till the chicken pieces are completely cooked.
- Pour a small pinch of crushed fenugreek leaves and half teaspoon ghee over the gravy and mix well.
- Then mix half of the grated cheese with the gravy and cook for one minute. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and remove.
- Garnish with the remaining cheese and serve hot.
- Calories : 248
- Fats : 12 g
- Protein : 18 g
- Carbohydrate : 17 g