Indian chicken tikka masala recipe (chicken tikka masala restaurant style)
It is a rich tomato based curry sauce where roasted or grilled chicken are simmered with spices till a perfect gravy consistency achieved.
Tikka masala is everyone's favourite. And tandoori tikka masala is especially for all the foodies and cooking enthusiasts.
Chicken tikka masala is versatile, yummy and extremely easy to make. If you have been looking for a authentic chicken tikka masala recipe that can be easily prepared at home, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make chicken tikka masala recipe at home easily.
What is chicken tikka masala ?
Chicken tikka masala is a tomato onion based rich gravy where marinated grilled chicken pieces are simmered with spices till perfection.
Yoghurt based marinated chicken are first roasted in a tandoor till tender and crisp and then used in the rich tomato onion gravy to make this automatic chicken tikka masala recipe.
The best part of this recipe is that all the ingredients are readily available in your kitchen. If not they are so easy to find at any grocery store and you don't even need to have a tandoor to make this yummy recipe
Origin of chicken tikka masala
There are many stories about the origin of this famous dish. Some food expert claim that it a Punjabi dish and its roots is firmly grounded in Indian subcontinent. They say that it was first invented by Kundan Lal from Moti Mahal restaurant, Delhi.
But one of the most convincing claim comes from the great Ali Ahmed Aslam of Glasgow's inimitable Shish Mahal , an authentic Scottish Curry house. That this chicken Tikka masala was originated from there.
Some other claim it as an unofficial national dish of UK. Ethnic food historians. Colleen and Peter Grove, who remain adamant that the dish is most certainly invented in Britain, probably by a Bangladeshi chef.
Whatever the origin, we have a wonderful heavenly dish The Chicken Tikka masala, that can be prepared in many ways and the taste remains the same.
Authentic chicken tikka masala
Authentic chicken Tikka masala is prepared with yogurt marinated chicken pieces, Shewer and char grilled to incredible BBQ flavours. You can use Oven or a pan to roast them as well. Authentic tikka masala is made using tandoori chicken tikka.
Chicken is also known as murgh in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan So the term chicken tikka masala is also refer as murgh tikka masala in these countries.
Chicken tikka masala is best to serve with butter naan and other Indian flatbreads like garlic naan, tandoori roti and lachcha paratha.
Homemade phulka and chapati roti are also can be served with this. You can even serve steam basmati rice or other flavoured rice with chicken tikka masala.
Steps to make tikka masala
Making chicken tikka
1. Take a mixing bowl and add the yogurt and all other marinating ingredients one by one to make a thick masala also known as tandoori masala paste.
2. Wash and Clean the chicken pieces and mix with the above mixture and marinate for 30 minutes. You can marinate them for longer periods or overnight .
3. After the marination period is over, roast the chicken pieces either using an Oven or pan.
4. If using Oven then thread the chicken pieces in a shewer or spread over a baking tray applying little butter over them and roast for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Otherwise heat a pan with oil over medium high heat flame. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low and add the chicken pieces removing excess marinate. You can read the step by step instructions on how to make chicken tikka on pan from Chicken Tikka recipe.
6. Roast them both side till brown for at least 3 minutes. We will cook the chicken pieces later in the sauce.
For more chicken recipe
1. Heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil in a pan on slow flame heat and add the whole spices and saute for 30 seconds. Then add onion slices and fry until light brown.
2. Thereafter add the tomatoes and cooked for two minutes or till mushy. Switch off the flame and let the mixture cool down completely.
3. When the mixture cool down, discard the whole spices and add cashew nuts. Grind and blend them into a fine paste. Keep the puree aside to use while making the sauce.
Otherwise you can boil the the roughly chopped tomatoes, onion, cashew nuts and whole spices in a deep vessel pan till become soft and messy for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool down and discard the whole spices. Grind them into a fine puree.
Making Chicken Tikka masala
4. Heat oil in a pan and fry the chopped onions until soft and light brown. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears.
5. Add Kashmiri chilly paste and saute further for a minute. Then add the yogurt or curd and cook till the water from yogurt evaporated.
6. Now add the coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, kasoori methi and mix untill fragrant while stirring occasionally.
7. Pour the tomato onion puree and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes untill the sauce become thick while stirring occasionally.
8. Add the cream and sugar into the above sauce and stir. Add the chicken tikka pieces and further cook for 3 - 4 minutes untill the sauce become thick and bubbling. You can add additional water to thin the sauce.
9. Check the seasoning of the Tikka masala, if required add salt and powder. Switch off the flame and remove the chicken Tikka masala in a serving bowl or plate.
Garnish with fresh cilantro or coriander leafs.
Difference between chicken Tikka masala and butter chicken
This is one of the interesting question we face at our corporate events and functions.
Many guests asked what is difference between a chicken Tikka masala and butter chicken?
- The main difference between them is onion. In butter chicken there is no use of onion in any form whereas in chicken Tikka masala , onions are used in two form.
- Butter chicken is little sweet in taste and chicken Tikka masala is Tangy and little spicy.
- Butter chicken is a rich gravy or sauce where more amount of Butter and Cream are used.
- Butter chicken can be made using boneless and with bone chicken. Sometimes shredded chicken pieces are also used .
- But chicken Tikka masala is made using boneless chunks of chicken pieces either a Leg boneless or Breast boneless.
To make this recipe at home you can either roast the chicken pieces in an Oven or use a pan to cook the chicken pieces with those amazing flavours.
If you love the recipe of chicken tikka masala then I am sure you would love the recipe of
Restaurant style chicken Tikka masala
Chicken tikka masala is a hugely popular chicken recipe where yoghurt marinated chicken pieces are cooked in a tandoor and simmered in a rich tomato onion gravy. Chicken tikka masala gravy can be served with rice and naan or roti.
Prep time cooking time serving
60 min. 10 min 2
Author :- Mobasir hassan
Author :- Mobasir hassan
For marinating chicken
- 8 - 10 boneless Chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoon Greek yogurt or hung curd.
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/3 teaspoon red chilly paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/3 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- 2 medium size onion finely chopped.
- 3 medium tomatoes ( roughly chopped)
- 1 big onion finely sliced.
- 8 to 10 cashew nuts
- 1 bay leaf (tez patta)
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick ( dalchini)
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- 1/2 black cardamom
- 2 - 3 black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/3 teaspoon garam masala
- Some dry Fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri chilly paste
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 butter cube
- 2 teaspoon yogurt (curd)
- 2 tablespoon heavy fresh cream.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt .
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar ( optional)
- Some chopped Cilantro leafs
How to make the recipe
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces and pat them dry completely.
- Take yoghurt in a mixing bowl and add all the marinating ingredients one by one.
- Whisk everything well to make a fine thick mixture or masala.
- Mix the chicken pieces with this masala and marinate for 30 minutes.
- After that roast or grilled them using an oven or non stick pan or tawa.
Making chicken Tikka masala
- Heat half teaspoon oil in a pan and roast all the whole spices for few seconds. Add the sliced onions and fry till light brown.
- Add the roughly chopped tomatoes and fry till soft. Switch off the flame and cool them completely. Discard the whole spices.
- Add the cashew nuts with them and make a fine paste.
- Again heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and fry the chopped onions till light brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappear.
- Add red chilly paste and stir. Mix the curd and saute till water from curd evaporated.
- Now mix the red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt.
- Pour the tomato onion cashew paste and cook for 5 minutes or till the gravy become thick.
- Add the fresh cream, sugar and mix with the gravy. Then add the roasted chicken tikka pieces into the gravy and cook for 2 to 3 minutes till the sauce become thick and bubbling.
- Check the seasoning and remove in a serving bowl. Garnish with fres cream and coriander leaves.
- CALORIES :- 725kcal
- Carbohydrate :- 29 gm | Fats :- 53 g
- Saturated fats :- 13 gm | protein :- 34gm
- Cholesterol :- 128mg | fiber :- 6 gm
- Chicken Tikka masala is served as a main course dish. Generally it is best to have some Indian breads with chicken Tikka masala like you can have some Tandoori rotis, Butter Naan and Lachcha paratha.
- A Tandoori garlic butter Naan is most sought after bread with chicken Tikka masala.
- Some homemade chapati and phulka can also be served with it.
- Many people prefer it with steam basmati rice. A long grains basmati rice is a ideal choice with chicken Tikka masala
- You can use chicken breast pieces instead of chicken legs but that won't be much juicy and succulent.
- If using chicken breast then marinate them for longer hour for better results.
- Kashmiri chilli is used to give it a nice colour only. If you find it in store then use it. It is not hot and spicy. Any other ground red chilli or cayenne pepper can be used instead of it.
- For a smoky flavours, use a heavy cast iron skillet instead of a Non stick pan.
- Chicken Tikka masala taste little bit Tangy flavour due to the use of yogurt or curd. It is not hot but a little spicy.
- For garnishing chicken Tikka masala , you can use fresh Cilantro leafs , little fresh cream and one green chili slits into two parts.