Chicken lollipop gravy is a main course version of popular chicken lollipop. There is no doubt that this is the most sought after dish in india. This lollipop gravy can be best to serve with hakka noodles.
Chicken lollipop gravy is a fusion recipe of Indo Chinese Cuisines and served with fried rice and noodles.
Crisp fried chicken lollipops are tossed and simmered in a sweet and spicy sauce made by using soya sauce, tomato ketchup and red chilli sauce.
You can easily make this mouth watering restaurant style chicken lollipop gravy or chicken lollipop sauce recipe at the comfort of your kitchen. If you love the recipe of chicken lollipop gravy recipe then I am sure you would love the recipe of Chilli chicken gravy as well.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Cutting and shaping lollipops
How to cut a chicken lollipop?
Chicken lollipops are made from chicken wings. A whole chicken wings has three parts. Drumette part, wingette part and tip part. Lollipops are from drumette and wingette part.
Hold the drumette and wingette part with each hand and break the joint . Push upward to bring the drumette bone piercing the skin.
Cut the joining skin between these two parts. Thus one lollipop made from the drumette part.
Similarly hold the remaining wingette and tip part with hands and break their join . Push the bone upwards. Two small bones will come out piercing the skin. Remove the thin bone and cut the joining skin between them.
|Holding wingette and tip part|
2. Making Chicken lollipop batter
Chicken lollipop batter is important for making chicken lollipop dry recipe. So that we can add all the flavours into the lollipops. If you are making lollipop gravy recipe then you can simply add ginger garlic Chilly pepper and salt. We will later use different sauces to give all the flavours.
For dry chicken lollipop take 4 teaspoon corn flour and 5 - 6 teaspoon all purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon red chilly paste, 1/2 teaspoon red chilly sauce, 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger, 1/2 teaspoon chopped green chili,1/3 teaspoon White pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon tomato ketchup, 1/2 teaspoon schezwan sauce , 1 beaten egg, 1/2 teaspoon chopped celery and salt to taste. Add little water to make a thick batter. Coat chicken lollipops in these batter and keep marinated.
Red Chilly Paste for chicken lollipop gravy
Red Chilly Paste is only important if you want to give lollipop a nice restaurant style colour.
Dark soya sauce makes a dish look black or dark brown which is not eye appealing. So we use red chilly paste to balance the colour for the recipe.
For making the red chilly paste you need to boil Kashmiri chilly and then make a fine paste using grinder or mixer.
Kashmiri chilly is not spicy and it only gives the dish its desired colour.
3. Corn flour slurry for chicken lollipop gravy
Corn flour slurry is used in most of the Indo Chinese foods to make the sauce or gravy thicken. It is widely used in soups, like manchow soup, lemon coriander soup and in gravy like Chilli gravy.
To make it for chicken lollipop gravy recipe mix 1 tablespoon corn flour with 4 tablespoon water. Mix well without any lumps.
If you love gravy recipe then I am sure you would love the recipe of Chole as well.
4. Marinating the lollipops
In a mixing bowl mix chicken lollipops with chopped garlic,ginger green chilli,salt, peppers and red chilly paste. Add the beaten egg and mix . Then add the corn flour and all purpose flour and mix everything well to coat the chicken lollipops. Let them marinate for 1 hour or overnight for best results.
Heat oil in a pan or kadai under medium flame fire. When the oil become hot lower the heat flame to low and add the lollipops. Fry them till crisp golden and fully done. Remove them on a tissue paper to absorb any excess oil.
6. Making chicken lollipop sauce or gravy
Take a wok or pan and heat 2 teaspoon oil and fry chopped ginger and garlic under high heat flame. Add the chopped onions and and green chillies and fry till translucent. Therefore add red chilly paste, red chilly sauce, tomato sauce and dark soya sauce with the onions and cook for a while.
Pour half cup water and let simmer. Then add salt, black pepper and white pepper powder. Now pour 3 teaspoon slurry into the mixture and simmer. The gravy now start to thicken. Add the fried lollipop pieces and mix well.
Simmer the lollipop gravy for one more minutes. Taste the seasoning and if required add some sat and pepper powder. When you get the required gravy consistency, sprinkle some chopped spring onions and remove. Serve the chicken lollipop gravy hot with fried rice or noodles.
If you love Desi Chinese dishes then below are some popular related recipes you can make at home to impress your friends and family.
Chicken lollipop gravy is made by deep frying batter coated lollipops and then stir fry them with vegetables and sauces like dark soya sauce, schezwan sauce, tomato sauce with herbs like ginger garlic green chili.
Prep time Cook time serving
Prep time Cook time serving
15 min. 10 min 2
Author :- Mobasir hassan
For marinating the lollipops
- 8 pieces chicken lollipop
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped green chili
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper powder
- pinch of salt as per taste
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- 3 teaspoon all purpose flour
- Oil for deep frying
For lollipop gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 3 teaspoon chopped onion
- 2 green chili slits roughly
- 1 teaspoon red chilly paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon White pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder (optional)
- pinch of salt as per taste
- chopped spring onions for garnish
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
How to make the recipe
- Mix chicken lollipops with ginger garlic, green chilli, salt, pepper powder and red chilly paste.
- Add the beaten egg, corn flour, all purpose flour and mix well to coat all the lollipops evenly.
- Let them marinate for 1 hour or overnight to absorb all the flavours.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel pan or kadai in medium flame heat and slowly add the lollipops removing excess marination.
- Fry them till crisp golden and fully cooked.
- Remove them in an absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan and fry the chopped ginger and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and green chili and fry till the onions become translucent.
- Add the red chilly paste, red chilly sauce, tomato sauce and dark soya sauce and mix.
- Pour half cup of water into the mixture and simmer. Add salt and white pepper powder.
- Pour 3 teaspoon corn flour slurry into them. The gravy start to thicken now.
- Add the fried lollipops and mix well with the gravy. Cook for one minute.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and remove the lollipop gravy.
Chicken lollipop gravy video
Serving size 1 piece = 80 g
- Calories : 190.40
- Fats : 11.67 g
- Protein : 13.56 g
- Carbohydrate : 8.47 g
- chicken lollipop gravy is used as a main course side dish. So it is served with fried rice. Chicken fried rice, egg fried rice are good choice to serve with it.
- Different types of noodles like Hakka noodles, Singapore noodles, Chilly noodles are also served along with chicken lollipop gravy.
- Tandoori naan is also served along with a chicken lollipop gravy.
- In place of red chily paste, you can use Kashmiri red chilli powder. It can also gives a nice red colour.
- You can use green chili paste as well instead of chopped green chili.
- If you want to spicy chicken lollipop gravy then don't use tomato ketchup. Add 1/2 teaspoon green chilli paste instead of it.
Popular recipes for your lunch and dinner