Egg bhurji (anda bhurji)
Egg bhurji is a popular eggs recipe that can be made within 15 minutes and have a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you have to make a quick meal preparation then I am sure this is perhaps the best recipe you can make so quickly.
This recipe will give you one of the best egg bhurji recipe that you can make at home at the comfort of your kitchen. Read this bhurji recipe with step by step instructions and video.
What is egg bhurji
Egg bhurji also known as Anda bhurji in Hindi is a spicy version of scrambled eggs. Lightly beaten or whisked eggs are scrambled in a spiced tomato onion based masala mixture.
Hugely popular in Mumbai Streets as a bhurji Pav.
Eggs : 4 to 5 depending on the amount of bhurji you are making.
Onion and tomato : 2 medium size onion and tomato
Spice powder : red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala or garam masala powder.
Herbs : fresh coriander leaves, green chili and ginger root.
Other ingredients : butter, salt and cooking oil
This popular bhurji can be prepared in many different ways. Most popular are
- Street style egg bhurji
- Dhaba style egg bhurji
- Home style egg bhurji
For dhaba style egg bhurji recipe
In dhaba style, onions are sauteed to light brown color. Garam masala powder or pav bhaji masala powder is used to give it the unique flavour. Some finely chopped capsicum is also added which is optional, you can escape to add in the bhurji.
Tomatoes are added when the bhurji become 80% done. Tomatoes are visible in chunks in the bhurji. They also makes the bhurji little bit tangy in flavor and moist.
Steps to make egg bhurji
Whisk the eggs
Take a mixing bowl and break the eggs one by one carefully.
Add a small pinch of salt and beat the eggs with a whisk nicely untill become fluffy.
Fry the onion and tomato
Heat a non stick pan with some cooking oil over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot add chopped onions and saute.
Then add chopped ginger and green chilli. Saute them till the onions become soft and translucent.Don't fry the onions to become brown.
Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till become soft and messy. For dhaba style bhurji add some chopped capsicum at this stage.
Now add the spices turmeric powder, red chilli powder and pav bhaji masala powder. Lower the flame to low and cook the masala for one minute by stirring.
Making the bhurji
When the masala are nicely cooked pour the whisked eggs and start to scramble. Keep the heat to low for one more minute.
Now increase the flame to medium heat and cook the bhurji untill almost done. The eggs get cooked at anything above 60°C. So don't increase the flame to too high.
When the eggs get nicely cooked switch off the flame and then sprinkle some fresh chopped coriander leaves and give a final mix.
For a soft egg bhurji just cook the bhurji untill just set. Many prefer a soft bhurji or gila bhurji.
Remove and serve hot with your preferred breads or rice.
- In scrambled egg, eggs are mixed with milk or cream and other spices like salt and black pepper powder. But these ingredients are not used in egg bhurji.
- In egg bhurji, onion and tomato are first sauteed with spices like red chilli powder, turmeric powder and green chili. Thereafter beaten eggs are added to cook. While in scrambled eggs, spices are mixed along with eggs and then beaten and cooked.
- Egg bhurji is spicy but scrambled eggs is creamy.
How to make this bhurji street style
In street style egg bhurji recipe in addition to given ingredients, butter is used to enhance its taste.
You can add 1 tablespoon of butter along with cooking oil at the beginning of the recipe or just before removing the bhurji add the butter and cook for one more minute.
Pav bhaji masala is the secret ingredient for street style egg bhurji recipe
Boiled eggs bhurji
You can use boiled eggs to make egg bhurji as well. If you have some leftover boiled eggs then I am sure this is the best things you can make with them. You just need to make the masala as described above and mixed the eggs.
You can cut the eggs into small bite size cubes or slice them to use in the masala. My wife often make boiled eggs bhurji, she only use the egg white and cut them into slices then mix with the masala. And it is best to serve with chapati and phulka. And also work with dal and chawal as a side dish.
If you love egg bhurji recipe then I am sure you would love to try the following recipes as well.
Egg bhurji recipe
Egg bhurji (anda bhurji) is popular egg recipe where whisked eggs are scrambled with a tomato onion based spice mixture. Pav bhaji masala powder is a secret ingredient for yummy street style egg bhurji recipe.
Prep time 7 min, cook time 15 min, serve 2
Author Mobasir hassan
- 4 eggs
- 2 medium size onion chopped
- 3 green chili chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 medium size tomato chopped
- 1/4 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- Small handful of coriander leaves
- In a mixing bowl, break the eggs one by one carefully.
- Add a small pinch of salt and whisk everything together nicely untill light and fluffy.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan over medium heat flame. When hot add the chopped onions, and saute.
- Then add the chopped ginger and green chili and saute further till the onion become soft and translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and mix well and cook until the tomatoes become soft and messy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and pav bhaji masala powder. Lower the heat flame and cook the masala for 1 minute.
- Thereafter pour the whisked eggs into the pan and gently start to mix. Keep the heat flame to low for another one minute while stirring continuously.
- Add salt as per taste then increase the flame to medium and cook the eggs till fully done by stirring continuously.
- Sprinkle some fresh chopped coriander leaves and remove.
- Serve them hot with some breads.
- You can make it street style egg bhurji recipe by adding 1 tablespoon butter into the bhurji just before removing or with cooking oil.
- For dhaba style egg bhurji recipe add chopped tomatoes after the bhurji become 80% cooked.
Egg bhurji recipe video
- Calorie : 96
- Fats : 6 gm
- Protein : 6 gm
- Carbohydrate : 18 gm
- You can add some chopped bell peppers, green peas or mushroom to make this bhurji more healthy.
- Adjust the chilli quantity according to your taste. You can avoid to use green chili in this recipe.
- To make it more fluffy and creamy add 2 tablespoon fresh cream when the bhurji is almost cooked.