Egg curry recipe
Egg curry recipe masala, anda curry recipe
Egg curry is a simple and easy to make recipe, which is popular in every household in india. Boiled eggs are simmered in a rich flavoured tomato onion based gravy. Egg curry recipe can be made in many different ways and all are excellent in tastes. This egg curry recipe is without coconut. And pretty simple that you can easily make at home for rice or roti.
I have given this recipe a restaurant style touch and flavour and hope you would love it. Restaurant style egg curry are full of masala and flavours and are excellent to have with tandoori roti and naan.
If you visit any dhaba, try the dhaba style egg curry recipe with wheat flour tandoori roti.
Steps to make restaurant style (dhaba style) egg curry recipe
1. Boil and fry eggs for the recipe
To make the recipe we need some boiled eggs. And they should be little hard one. Place the eggs at the bottom of a pan and fill with cold water one inch above the eggs. Bring the water to boil in high flame over a gas stove. For hard boiled eggs, keep the time for 8 - 12 minutes. Then remove them and place under cold water for 6 - 7 minutes.
Gently tap the eggs against a hard surface and peel the shell away. Rinse the eggs under cold water to remove any bits of shell and pat dry. Now prick them with a toothpick or a kitchen knife. This will help to pass hot air from the eggs.
Heat 1/3 teaspoon oil in a pan and add a small pinch of turmeric powder and fry the eggs till light brown. You can use some red chilli powder and salt to fry the eggs. Remove and keep them aside to use in gravy. If you don't like fried eggs in the curry simply avoid this step.
Making the masala for egg curry
The flavour of egg curry masala comes from some whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
In restaurants, they sizzled them while making different types gravy and remove after staining them. That's why you don't get any whole spices in the curry.
First make a puree with some roughly chopped tomatoes. Heat 2 teaspoon cooking oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to cracks. Then add whole spices, cardamom, cinamom and cloves. Fry for around 30 seconds to release their flavours.
Add chopped onions and fry till light brown. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes.
Then pour the prepared tomato paste or puree and green chilli and cook for 6 - 8 minutes or till oil start to separate.
Add some powdered spices like red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and stir them nicely. Add salt and half cup of water. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. If you want a thin egg curry gravy with rice then increase the amount of water. And for chapati, keep the water amount to half cup.
Add fried eggs, garam masala, crushed fenugreek leaves and some chopped coriander leaves to finish the curry.
To make spicy egg curry used green chili paste while making the gravy. My kids don't love spicy foods so I have used just one green chili in this recipe.
Egg curry recipe with coconut
Use of coconut in gravy is very prominent and regular in state like Maharashtra and other South Indian states. It gives a nice flavour to the gravy. Traditionally fresh coconut are used while making a egg curry with coconut. Dried coconut can also be used to make the recipe. Grate the coconut and saute or shallow fry on a pan or tawa till light crisp brown. Similarly fry slice onions to light crisp brown.
Now make a fine paste of the coconut with fried onions, green chili, coriander leaves, garlic and ginger.
These paste is used after frying chopped onions with masala powder for making the gravy for egg curry. Nowadays you can use coconut milk powder instead of coconut for making the egg curry. This is quite easy to use. Just mix the amount of coconut milk powder you need with water and pour into the gravy and cook for a while. Your egg curry with coconut is ready to serve.
If you love egg curry recipe then I am sure you would love to try
Egg curry recipe
Egg curry is a popular recipe that can be made with different types of preparation. Some popular are dhaba style and restaurant style egg curry recipe and egg curry recipe with coconut. Lightly fried eggs are simmered into tomato onion gravy with some whole and powdered spices.
Prep time cooking time serving
10 min 15 min 2
Author : Mobasir hassan
- 4 eggs
- 3 - 4 medium size onion
- 3 big size tomato
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/3 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/3 teaspoon crushed fenugreek leaves
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 - 2 green chili
- Small handful of coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
How to make the recipe
- Boil the eggs for 8 - 10 minutes. Chopped the onions and make a fine paste(puree) with the tomatoes.
- Peel the eggs and prick them with a knife or toothpick.
- Heat little oil in a pan and add a small pinch of turmeric powder and fry the eggs till light crisp.
- Remove them and keep aside. Add 2 teaspoon oil in the pan on slow flame.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry to cracks then add the cardamom, cinamom and cloves and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till light brown. Pour the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell of them goes.
- Pour the tomato puree and green chili, mix and cook for 6 - 8 minutes or till the oil start to separate.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and mix and cook for a minute.
- Add salt and pour half cup water into the pan. You can adjust the water according to your desired gravy consistency.
Making the egg curry
- Simmer and cook the gravy for 2 - 3 minutes. Then add the fried eggs one by one carefully into the gravy.
- Cook them for one minute
- Add garam masala, crushed fenugreek leaves and coriander leaves and stir nicely to mix everything.
- Cook for a while and taste the seasoning and gravy consistency of the curry.
- Remove and serve the yummy egg curry.
Egg curry recipe video
( serving size 200 g with 2 eggs)
- Calories : 260
- Fats : 20 g
- Protein : 9 g
- Carbohydrate : 4 g
• Serve egg curry with flat Indian breads like roti, naan and Paratha. Homemade chapati and phulka are excellent to have with this.
• Steam rice or any other flavoured rice are also goes well with this curry.
• If you don't like fried eggs in the recipe just avoid that step.
Below you can read the egg curry recipe step by step with photo instructions to understand better.
Popular gravy recipe you can try
1. First boil the eggs for 8 - 10 minutes. Don't cover the eggs while boiling them. And don't pressure cook to boil eggs
2. Peel the eggs after cooling them and prick them using a knife or toothpick.
3. Heat little oil in a pan on slow flame and add a small pinch of turmeric powder. Add the boiled eggs and fry till light crisp and brown. You can add salt and red chilli powder as well while frying them.
4. Remove and keep them aside to use later in the gravy.
5. Chopped the onions finely and tomatoes roughly. Make a fine puree with the tomatoes.
6. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and fry till cracks. Add the cardamom, cinamom and cloves. Fry them for 30 seconds to release the flavours.
7. Add the chopped onions and fry till light brown. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell of them goes.
8. Pour the tomato puree and green chili. Mix and cook for 6 - 8 minutes or till oil start to separate.
9. Now add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Saute for a minute.
10. Add salt as per your taste and half cup water. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. You can add water according to your desired consistency of the gravy.....thin or thick gravy for the curry.
11. Now pour the eggs into the gravy and cook for one minute. Add garam masala, crushed fenugreek leaves and sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves. You can even cut the eggs into one by two and add in the gravy.
12. Cook further one minute, taste the seasoning and remove the curry to serve.
For more Indian popular recipes