What is lauki in english and it's benefits
Lauki a popular vegetable consumed heavily during summer season here in India. Lauki is a versatile vegetable and are used in various dishes including curries, soups, stir fry and even dessert. Lauki is low in calories and rich in nutrients like Vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
Lauki belongs to the gourd family, Cucurbitaceae and comes in a variety of shapes like small and bottle shape, huge and round or slim and twisty. It has a light green smooth skin and a white inner flesh. It can be either harvested young to be consumed as a vegetable or harvested nature to be dried and used as a utensils, container or a musical instrument. Lauki was one of the world's first cultivated plants grown not primarily for food but for use as container.
If you want to know more about Parsley and it's benefits then here is a article for you Parsley in Hindi.
Lauki in English (doodhi in english)
Lauki also known as doodhi or ghiya here in India has many names in English. The very popular and widely used term for it in English is Bottle gourd.
Other names for it are
- Calabash gourd
- White flowered gourd
- Long melon
- Birdhouse gourd
- New Guinea bean
- Tasmania bean
Benefits of drinking bottle gourd juice
- Helps in weight loss
- Control high blood pressure
- Hello in good digestion
- Keep your heart health healthy
- Helps in improving hair and skin
- Reduce stress levels
- Helps in improving sleeping disorder
- Reduce acne and pimples
- Relieves depression
- Control stomach issues
Lauki Juice benefits for Skin
- Lauki is packed with nutrients like Vitamin C, antioxidant and zinc which helps dealing with premature ageing of skin.
- Consumption of lauki juice helps to slow down cell ageing and prevent wrinkle appearing on the face.
- You can even apply it on your face and neck region for instant glow of your skin.
- Lauki juice cleanses guts and system and thus keeps dirt and oil under control. Which in turn reduces acne and pimples.
Lauki is considered as a good choice for diabetic patients. It contains 92 % water and the remaining is fiber only. It has less or negligible amount of glucose and other sugar related compound, which makes it a ideal food for diabetic patients.
Millets are also very healthy and having many health benefits, you can read about kodo millets health benefits as well.
How to make Lauki juice at home
- 1 1/2 cup Lauki ( bottle guard / Dhudhi)
- 1/4 cup fresh Mint leaves
- Some coriander leaves ( optional)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juices
- 1/2 teaspoon Rock Salt ( black salt)
- Salt to taste
- Some Ice cold water
- First wash and peel the skin of the lauki and discard them. Now roughly cut the lauki into small size cubes.
- Taste a small cube and make sure it is not bitter. If so then do not go ahead to make the juice.
- Add them into a blender along with Mint leaves and rock salt. I have not use the coriander leaves here in the recipe so its up to to you to add.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon juice up to one tablespoon and add some ice cold water.
- Now blend everything into a smooth paste or puree. Then add some more water and blend to incorporate well.
- Strain the juice using a strainer. Using a spoon or spatula mash the mixture into the strainer to get most juice out of it.
- Pour the juice into some individual glasses and serve the lauki juice.
- Calorie : 25 kcal
- Protein : 1.6 g
- Fats : 0.4 g
- Carbohydrate : 4.8 g
- Drinking too much lauki juice can cause to an upset stomach and diarrhea.
- Some people may experience gastrointestinal issues like gas or bloating after consuming lauki juice.
- Allergic reactions like itching or swelling may occur in some individuals.
- Excessive lauki juice consumption may lead to problematic in some diabetic patients as it can lower blood sugar levels. They are advised to monitor their blood sugar levels closely.
- Some lauki may contain bitter taste which may cause nausea and discomfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can we drink daily Lauki Juice?
Yes You can drink it daily. It has so many health benefits. consuming lauki juice twice or thrice in a week will maintain a healthy heart and regulate blood pressure. It is rich in Iron, Vitamins and Potassium.
2. When should we drink lauki juice?
The best time to have this juice is in the morning. A small glass of this juice is fine to have in the morning. And remember to have it immediately after making it as lauki juice can get oxidized quickly.
3. What are the side effect of Lauki Juice?
If your bottle gourd juice is bitter then consuming it could be highly toxic to your health. Some various side effects are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, discomfort and any feelings of uneasiness. So it is important to check the taste of the juice before you consume it.
Some popular Indian restaurant recipes you can make at home are......