Squid fry ( masala squid fry)
How to make squid fry|squid masala fry
Are you a seafood lover? If yes then this is a perfect recipe for you. Squid is such a versatile seafood that can fullfill your tentalize taste buds.
Squid fry is one of such popular recipe that will surely make you want more. Perfectly balanced and well coated with spices. This squid fry is a restaurant style recipe where squid rings are coated with masala spices. If you are looking for such a squid fry recipe then you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make squid fry recipe at home like a Pro. Before we jump into the recipe let us look some health benefits of eating squid.
- Squid is a good source of protein.
- High in Omega 3 fatty acids
- Rich source of Iron, Vitamin C and calcium.
What is squid fry?
Squid fry is a shallow fried squid recipe coated with spices and herbs. Marinated squid rings are fried with a masala paste known as tawa fry masala.
Ingredients required to make
Squids : Frozen squids or fresh squids can be used to make the recipe. Frozen squids are already peeled and cleaned. All you have to cut them into ring shape.
Herbs : fresh curry leaves, coriander leaves and garlic clove
Tamarind pulp : one or two tablespoon
Spice powder : red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt
Cooking oil : one tablespoon
Tawa fry masala paste : 2 tablespoon. If you don't want to make it use Kashmiri red chilly paste instead.
Squid fry recipe video
Time taken for the recipe
The total time required to make the recipe is under ten minutes which includes the preparation time of five minutes and cooking time of 5 minutes. Here I have excluded the marination period of ten minutes for the recipe.
What to serve with the recipe
This masala squid fry can be served with green chutney or other popular dips like Schezwan sauce or tartar sauce.
You can even served them with rice and roti as a side dish.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Making tawa fry masala paste
Tawa fry masala is a classic masala paste used to make some popular dishes like pomfret tawa fry, chicken tawa fry and other fish fry recipe. This tawa fry masala is widely used in manglorian style fish or seafood recipes. To make this masala paste you need following ingredients
- Whole Kashmiri red chilly
- Whole coriander seeds
- Fresh grated coconut
- Garlic and ginger
- Betki chilly ( optional)
2. Marinating the squids
First wash the squids for two to three times and pat them dry completely. Now cut them into ring shape about half inch width. Mix them with red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, salt and tamarind pulp. Cover and let them to marinate and absorb the flavours for ten minutes.
3. Cooking the squids
Heat a tawa or pan with one tablespoon cooking oil. When the oil become hot, lower the heat flame to low and add the chopped garlic and curry leaves. Fry until the garlic become golden.Then add the tawa fry masala paste mix and cook for one minute..
Then add the marinated squids and mix well with the masala paste. Add red chilli powder, kitchen king powder and salt. Stir and cook for one more minute so that the masala get coated evenly with the squids. Pour half cup water and increase the gas flame to high. Cook the squids further.
Cook them untill all the water get evaporated and it become dry. Now lower the gas flame and mix everything nicely so that all the masala paste nicely get coated with the squids.
Taste the seasoning and if required add some more salt and chilli. Remove them on a plate, sprinkle some fresh chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Here are some seafood recipes I am sure you would love to make them at home...
Squid fry recipe
Squid masala fry is a popular recipe made by shallow frying squid rings on a tawa with homemade masala and spices.
Prep time 10 min cook time 5 min serve 2
Author mobasir hassan
- 200 gm Clean squid
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kitchen king powder ( or garam masala)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 - 7 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon tawa fry masala paste or Kashmiri red chilly paste
- 2 tablespoon tamarind pulp or lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Some coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash the squid for two to three times to clean them nicely. Pat them dry completely either using a kichen cloth or tissue paper.
- After that cut the squids about half in width rings.
- Take them in a mixing bowl and add half teaspoon ginger garlic paste, small pinch of salt, red chilli powder and tamarind pulp. Mix everything nicely and let them to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes to absorb the flavours.
- After that heat a pan with one tablespoon cooking oil under medium heat flame gas fire. When the oil become hot, lower the heat flame to low and add chopped garlic and curry leaves. Fry them for some seconds or till the garlic become brown.
- Now add two tablespoon tawa fry masala paste and cook for one minute.
- Then add the marinated squids and stir them nicely with the masala paste. Add the remaining red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt as per taste. Mix and cook further for a while.
- Now pour one cup and cook the further for 4 to 5 minutes or until the masala become dry and well coated with the squids.
- Taste the seasoning and if required add some more salt and chilli powder. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and remove them in a serving plate to serve hot.
- Calorie : 394.8
- Fats : 16.6 g
- Protein : 28.7g
- Carbohydrate : 32.7g