How to make prawns fry
Prawns fry is a popular and easy to make seafood recipe that is so crisp and yummy. They are soft and juicy from inside and crisp from outside. A quick recipe that can be made within 20 minutes.
Prawns fry is versatile, yummy and extremely easy to make. And the best part is that all the ingredients are easily available at your kitchen. You don't need extra expensive ingredients to buy from grocery store or malls. If you have been looking for such an easy yet delicious prawns fry recipe, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the best prawns fry recipe with step by step guide with photos and a short video for better understanding. If you are a beginner or this is your first time stepping inside the kitchen, this recipe is for everyone. This recipe is suitable for shrimp also to make crispy fried shrimp. Tandoori prawns and butter garlic prawns are some popular prawns recipes that you can make at home.
What is prawns fry
Prawns fry is popular snacks or starter recipe made by deep frying spiced batter coated prawns till crisp golden. They are soft and juicy from inside and crisp from outside. Spices like garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, are used along with ginger garlic paste, green chilli and curry leaves. Serve them hot with restaurant style green chutney.
Befor we jump into the recipe, let us look at how nutritious and healthy eating prawns are. Prawns are one of such seafood which are considered as healthy foods. Prawns are rich in protein and low in fats and calories which makes them ideal for those who want to loss weight. A normal size prawns contains about 2 grams of fats, 30 grams of protein and 125 mg of minerals, they are rich source of Selenium an antioxidant which prevents cancer. Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which keeps our heat healthy by removing bad cholesterol from inner sides of arteries. Rich source of minerals like Calcium, Vitamin E and Vitamin B 12 .High in good quality protein and low in calories.
Prawns are very easy to cook as they do not need much time to cook. Regular size prawns take 3 to 4 minutes to cook whereas large size prawns take 5 to 7 minutes and Jumbo prawns take 7 to 8 minutes to cook.
Time required to make it
The total time taken to make the recipe is under 25 minutes which includes the preparation time of 15 minutes and cooking time of 10 minutes. The marination period is excluded here which may vary from 30 minutes to 2 to 3 hours.
How to serve it
This crispy fried prawns is best to serve with restaurant style green chutney. Just dip them into the chutney and feel the delicious yummy bites. They can also be served as a side dish with flavoured rice.
What type of prawns is best for the recipe
I love to make them with medium size prawns. King size prawns or jumbo prawns are also can be used. Small prawns or tiny prawns are aslo goes well with this batter marination. Medium size prawns which comes 22 to 24 pieces per kilogram are the most popular choice at restaurant for this recipe. Otherwise you can even use shrimps to make crispy shrimp fry with this recipe.
Ingredients required to make it
You need some basic ingredients to make the recipe at home like
Prawns : medium size prawns or jumbo prawns or king size prawns are suitable for this recipe.
Spice powder : garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and chat masala
Herbs : ginger garlic paste, green chilli and curry leaves
Ajwain : optional but helps in digestion
Flour : corn flour or rice flour and all purpose flour.
Other ingredients : cooking oil, salt and lemon juice
Prawns fry recipe video
Steps to make the recipe
1. Peel and clean the prawns
This step is only required if you have brought some fresh prawns from the market. Otherwise store brought frozen prawns are not required to clean. They are peeled and cleaned to use.
Clean and devein prawns is not a big task. Follow few steps just for once then you can easily clean and devein them like a Pro.
- Place a prawns on your hand and hold the head with other hand. Now pull the head gently to remove. You can even use a knife to cut the head.
- Now remove the shell start from the leg part with your fingers.
- Next pull the tail and remove. A sharp pointed tail still remain. We need to peel and remove the shell from it as well.
- Next with a sharp knife make a slit around the prawn curve and gently extract the yellowish and greenish vein using the sides of the knife.
- Place them under running water to remove all the remaining dirt.
2. First marination
Take the cleaned prawns in a mixing bowl and pat them dry completely either using kitchen towel or absorbent paper. Then add half teaspoon ginger garlic paste, half teaspoon red chilli powder, small pinch of salt and lemon juice from one lemon wedges. Mix them nicely and let them to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes to absorb the flavours.
3. Second marination
When the first marination period is over, add one teaspoon garam masala powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon chat masala, salt as per your taste, some roughly chopped curry leaves, two green chilli finely chopped, one tablespoon corn flour or rice flour, half tablespoon maida and one tablespoon beaten egg. Now mix everything evenly so that the prawns are coated from all sides evenly. Cover and keep refrigerated for at least one hour to absorb the flavours. The longer you keep them marinated the more flavourful and tasty they would become.
Adding egg is totally optional. Instead of that you can use very little water to make the batter smooth. Eggs help to keep the prawns moist and juicy from inside.
4. Frying the prawns
Prawns does not take much time to cook. In general medium size prawns take three to four minutes to cook. Large size prawns take 5 to 8 minutes and jumbo prawns take 7 to 8 minutes.
To cook the prawns, heat some cooking oil in a deep vessel pan or kadai under medium heat flame gas flame. When the oil become hot lower the heat flame to low and carefully add the batter coated prawns one by one. Fry them for 3 to 4 minutes or until they become crisp golden. Remove them on a kitchen towel or absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
Serve them hot with green chutney on a garnished serving plate.
If you love prawns fry recipe then you can try and make more recipes like prawns fry from below
Prawns fry is a crispy batter fried prawns recipe which is serve as a starter with green chutney. Batter coated prawns are deep fried till become crisp golden.
Prep time 15 min cook time 10 min serve 2
Author mobasir hassan
- 250 gm prawns ( shrimps)
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 lemon for juice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chat masala
- 1 teaspoon salt or as a taste
- 1 tablespoon corn flour or rice flour
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida)
- 8 - 10 curry leaves roughly chopped
- 2 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg ( optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) optional
- Cooking oil for frying
- Clean the prawns by removing the shell completely from the body. Then with a sharp knife make a slit around the curve of the prawn and gently extract the yellowish vein.
- Wash them under running water to remove any remaining dirt.
- Pat them dry completely either using a kichen cloth or tissue paper.
- In a mixing bowl add the prawns with half teaspoon ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, small pinch of salt and lemon juice from a lemon wedges. Mix and let them to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes to absorb the flavours.
- After this add garam masala, half teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, some chopped curry leaves, finely chopped green chilli, chat masala and a small pinch of salt as per taste. Then add one tablespoon rice flour, half tablespoon al purpose flour and some beaten egg.
- Give everything a good mix and refrigerated atleast for one hour.
- After that heat some cooking oil in a deep vessel pan over medium heat flame gas fire. When the oil become hot lower the heat flame to low and carefully add the marinated prawns one by one.
- Now increase the gas flame to little bit high and fry the prawns for four to five minutes or till they become crisp golden.
- Remove them in a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil and fry the remaining prawns till crisp golden.
- Garnish a serving plate and serve the prawns hot with green chutney.
( Serving size 15 prawns)
- Calorie : 405
- Fats :20 g
- Protein : 34 g
- Carbohydrate : 19 g
Frequently asked questions
How long should you fry prawns for ?
Prawns is very easy to cook as it does not take much time to cook. A medium size prawns take around 3 to 4, minutes, large size prawns take 5 to 7 minutes and king size or Jumbo prawns take approximately 7 to 8 minutes to cook.
How do you make prawns crispy?
To make prawns crispy you should either use corn flour or rice flour in the batter to coat them. Fry the prawns over medium heat flame gas for 4 to 5 minutes or till they become crisp golden.
How do you make prawns soft and juicy?
You should use egg in the batter and don't over cook them. Eggs make a layer which prevents the moisture to become dry while deep frying from the prawns.
Why does my prawns or shrimps taste rubbery?
This is because of over cooking the prawns or shrimp. Prawns or shrimps doesn't take much time to cook. 4 to 5 minutes is sufficient for them to cook. Over cooked prawns often become rubbery.
More popular snacks or stater recipes you can make at home are