crispy honey chilli potato
Crispy honey chilli potato made so easily at home like like s Pro. This is the easiest
honey chilli potato recipe made from scratch that will surely make you want more.
Honey chilli potato is a versatile and yummy potato finger snacks. They are super crisp and coated with a heavenly sesame honey chilli sauce. A truly lip smacking snacks, you can not resist yourself for those yummy bites. If you are looking for a crisp yummy honey chilli potato recipe, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make honey chilli potato at home which is crisp and super saucy.
What is honey chilli potato
Honey chilli potato are crisp fried potato fingers coated with sesame honey chilli sauce. They are sweet, crunchy and little bit spicy. A favourite finger snacks from our desi Indo Chinese cuisine. Hugely popular among party goers and youngs.
Before we jumped into the recipe let us look at how to choose right potatoes for crisp fries. The biggest factor to consider before picking a potato is its starch content, which is a good indicator how it will fry. High starch potatoes have high starch and little less water which makes a good combination for crisp frying. Whereas low starch potatoes have more moisture and less starch which makes a soggy fried.
After cutting the potatoes into fingers or strips soak them in cold water and rinse well to remove sugar from the surface.
Can I use potato wedges and french fries for the recipe ?
Yes sure. They are both a good choice to make wonderful and crisp honey chilli potato. Quick and easy, just need to make the honey chilli sauce first and then fry french fries till golden.
Therefore add them into the prepared sauce and stir fry nicely so that the sauce get well coated.. Ready to serve within 5 minutes. You can even use leftover fries and wedges to make honey chilli potato.
If you love honey chilli potato then I am sure you would love the recipe of Thai crispy potato as well.
Tips for crispy honey chilli potato
- Use double frying method. First fry them after coating with cornflour on medium low heat and second one in high flame before stir frying with the sauce.
- Rinse the potato fingers in water to remove sugar from outer surface and then pat them dry completely.
- Fry them immediately after coating with corn flour. Otherwise moisture start to release on the suface and the fingers will stick to each other while frying.
How to make honey chilli sauce
Perhaps one of the best sauce that you can use to make other favorite recipes like honey chilli paneer or honey chilli Chicken.
To make the sauce first fry some chopped ginger and garlic till become light brown then add and fry some chopped onions till they become soft and translucent.
Add some white sesame seeds and fry for a second. Then add red chilly sauce, dark soya sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar. Give them a nice stir. Pour some water to cook. Add salt, white pepper powder, small pinch of sugar and honey. Give everything a nice mix. Honey chilli sauce is ready for stir frying.
The best part of this wonderful sauce is you don't need to add any corn flour slurry to thicken. Honey do the job for the sauce. To make the sauce more bright and glazing add some red chilly paste.
I haven't use vinegar in this recipe because of tomato sauce which has the tangy flavour.
Steps to make the recipe
Cutting the potatoes
Wash the potatoes and peel them. Then cut them into fingers. Keep the fingers little bit thick in size.
Frying the potato fingers
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat flame. When the oil become hot fry the potato fingers till become golden.
Remove on a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
Making the sauce
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a wok or pan and fry the chopped ginger and garlic till light brown. Add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
Add white sesame seeds and fry till brown. Then add red chilly paste and fry for a while.
Add red chilly sauce, dark soya sauce, tomato sauce and give a good stir. Pour little water and cook them for a while. Add salt, small pinch of sugar and white pepper powder. Pour 1 tablespoon honey into the sauce and give everything a good mix. The sauce is ready for stir frying the potatoes.
Making honey chilli potato
Now fry the potato fingers again in high flame hot oil for a minute or till become crisp.. Remove and drain excess oil and add into the prepared above sauce.
Mix the fingers nicely with the sauce so that all the fingers get evenly coated. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.
Remove and serve immediately these honey glazed crisp golden potato fingers.
If you love this honey chilli potato recipe then I am sure you would love more honey chilli recipes like
Honey chilli potato recipe
Honey chilli potato is a popular appetizer of Indo Chinese cuisine. Crispy fried potato fingers are stir fried in sweet, spicy honey sesame chilli sauce.
Prep time cook time serving
10 min 6 min 2
Author Mobasir hassan
- 2 - 3 medium size potatoes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1/3 teaspoon red chilly paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilly sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar ( optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- Small pinch of sugar
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for frying
How to make the recipe
- Peel the potatoes and wash them nicely. Then slice them and cut into finger size pieces. Keep the fingers little bit thick.
- Now apply corn flour and salt over them and coat evenly from all sides.
- Keep aside for 2 minutes to set. Fry them before moisture start to come.
- Fry them in medium high flame till crisp golden. Remove in absorbent paper or kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil.
Making the honey chilli potato
- Heat half teaspoon oil in a Chinese wok or pan in medium high flame and fry chopped ginger and garlic till light brown. Add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon white sesame seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add red chilly paste, mix and saute for a second then add red chilly sauce, dark soya sauce, tomato sauce and give a good stir.
- Pour little water and cook the sauce till become thick.
- Add salt, white pepper powder, small pinch of sugar.
- Add one teaspoon honey and mix everything nicely.
- Now fry the potato fingers again for one minute and add into the sauce.
- Mix the potato fingers well with the sauce. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and white sesame seeds.
- Remove and serve the honey chilli potato immediately.
Honey chilli potato recipe video
( Serving size 1 cup)
- Calories : 250
- Fats : 3 g
- Protein : 5 g
- Carbohydrate : 51 g
• In place of corn flour you can use rice flour to make the recipe.
• I have not used vinegar. You can use it.
• The recipe doesn't require to use corn flour slurry. As tomato sauce and honey makes the sauce thick and sticky.
You can read more homemade recipes like pizza sauce recipe and pizza base recipe to impress your family and friends.
More popular recipes