Onion samosa recipe | Cocktail mini samosa
Samosa are everyone's favorite. And they are especially for all the foodies and cooking enthusiast.
Onion samosas are versatile, yummy and extremely easy to make at home. And the best part is that you don't even need to buy samosa sheets from market. If you have been looking for such a onion samosa recipe, you have come to the right place. Hare I bring you the step by step guide on how to make onion samosa at home. If you are making onion samosa for first time then this recipe is a perfect match for you to learn. I have detailed all the required steps with step by step photos and video so that you can easily make then at home.
The tricky part to make onion samosa is the sheet making or patti making. If you can make them then it is eighty percent done to prepare the samosas. I have shown below the most easiest way to make samosa sheet.
Or you can buy ready made sheets from shop or malls. These are frozen and can be stored for upto three months. They are known as roll sheets made by using corn flour and refined flour and generally used to make spring roll. All you have to do is to cut them to make the patti.
What is onion samosa?
Onion samosa are triangle shape crispy fried snacks made by homemade pastry sheets and lightly spiced onion fillings. They are also known as mini samosa, cocktail samosa or Irani samosa.
Finely sliced or chopped onions are mixed with spices and poha and then stuffed inside a cone made by a samosa patti or sheet. These are then sealed in a triangle shape and deep fried till crisp golden.
Poha is used to absorb the moisture released by onion. You can substitute poha with suji rawa or fine quality breadcrumbs. The main purpose is to absorb any excess moisture that may damage the samosa pastry.
Onion : one or two medium size onion finely sliced or chopped.
Poha : thin size poha. Or you can use rawa suji instead of poha.
Spice powder : red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
Herbs : chopped coriander leaves, ginger and green chili.
Flour : maida ( refined flour)
Other ingredients : salt and cooking oil
Total time taken to make onion samosa is under 40 minutes. This includes 30 minutes of preparation time and 10 minutes of cooking time.
Onion samosas are best to serve with green chutney, sweet imli chutney and fried chillies.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Making the dough
In a mixing bowl take the flour and mix with salt. Then add the hot oil and mix with a spoon. Start to crumble the flour after few seconds. Pour water slowly and start to knead to make a soft dough.
Apply some oil over the dough and cover. Set aside for 10 minutes to set.
2. Making samosa patti
After 10 minutes, knead the dough again for a while then divide into small parts and roll between the palm of hands to make round shape balls.
Take one dough ball and dust with some flour from all sides. With a roller pin start to roll it evenly from all sides. Roll the dough ball into a round circular shape as thin as possible.
Heat a tawa or non stick pan over low heat flame and when become hot, place the rolled dough over it.
Cook it for around 10 seconds and then flip to other side. Further cook for another 10 seconds.
Thereafter remove it and cook rest of the dough balls like above.
Now take one cooked dough and cut from all sides to make a rectangular shape.
Again cut and divide the rectangle into 1.5 inch width size sheets.
Similarly make more patti or sheets with the remaining cooked dough and place over one another.
3. Making the fillings
In a mixing bowl add the poha, finely sliced onions, chopped ginger and green chili.
Add red chilli powder, pinch of turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and some chopped coriander leaves.
Start to mix everything nicely then add some salt as per taste. Give everything a final mix. Taste the seasoning and if required add some more masala. Samosa fillings is ready.
4. Making batter
Mix one tablespoon refined flour with two tablespoon water to make a thick batter.
5. Making samosa cone
This is the tricky step for making a good shaped samosa. One need to make a perfect samosa con or pocket for the fillings to stuff inside it.
Professionals can make them easily. Here I am showing one easy steps for the beginners.
First take one samosa patti and place it on a roti board or kitchen table.
Assume a mark at the middle of the patti. Then bring one end of the patti and fold at the middle to make a 90 degree angle as shown in below picture.
Therefore apply some flour batter at the edges of the other side of the patti as shown below.
Now bring the 90 degree angle made patti and place over the batter and seal as shown below picture.
This is how you can easily make a cone for onion samosa.
6. Stuffing the fillings
Hold the cone at your left hand and open. With the other hand place 2 to 3 teaspoon onion fillings inside the cone and press lightly.
Then apply some batter around the edges and sides of the cone.
and seal tightly to make a triangle shape. Make sure all the sides are nicely sealed.
Stuff the rest of the fillings by making more samosa cone as shown above.
7. Frying the samosa
Heat enough oil in a kadai or pan to deep fry the samosa. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low.
Slowly and carefully place the stuffed samosa cone into the oil one by one. Fry them till crisp golden from all sides.
Remove them in a kitchen towel or napkin to absorb any excess oil. Serve them hot with chutney and fried chillies.
Onion samosa with spring roll sheets
If you have spring roll sheets then just cut them to make patti into the required size of samosa you are making. It is better to cut them into 1.5 inch width to make perfect mini samosa.
Fold these small sheets and apply batter to make cones. Therefore stuffed the filling and sealed into a triangle shape by applying the batter from sides.
Fried green chilli for onion samosa
Fried chillies are a must to have with this crisp onion samosa. Fried chillies are side dishes along with green and sweet chutney. And to make them at home first wash the chillies nicely. Then dry them with a kitchen towel.
Make small slits in lengthwise without dividing the chillies and fry over medium heat flame oil for 10 seconds. Remove them in absorbent paper and sprinkle a small pinch of salt over them. Serve them along with hot samosas.
For more evening snacks recipes
Onion samosa are popular snacks also known as Irani samosa or mini samosa made by homemade pastry sheets and spiced onion fillings. They are triangle shaped and deep fried till crisp golden.
Prep time 30 min Cook time 10 min serve 4
Author Mobasir hassan
For the fillings
- 2 medium size onion
- 1/2 cup poha or 1//3 cup suji rawa
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/3 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Small handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup refined flour (maida)
- Small pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon oil ( hot)
- Water as required
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon maida
- 2 tablespoon water
- To make the dough for onion samosa, take the refined flour in a mixing bowl and mix with the salt. Then add hot oil and mix with s spoon first. Carefully start to crumble the flour.
- Add water as required to make a soft dough like chapati without sticky. Brush some oil and cover the dough. Keep aside to set.
- After that divide the dough into small parts and roll them between the palm of hands to make round shape balls.
- Take one dough ball and dust with some flour and start to roll with a roller pin.
- Roll into a round circular shape as thin as possible.
- Heat a pan or tawa over low heat flame and place the rolled dough on it. Cook for 10 seconds and then flip to other side. Cook that side for another 10 seconds and then remove.
- Make more with rest of the dough balls.
- Now cut the sides and make a rectangular shape patti with all of them.
- Again cut and divide the rectangular Patti into 1.5 inch width samosa patti.
- To make the filings of the onion samosa, take poha or suji rawa in a mixing bowl. Add the finely sliced or chopped onions, ginger and green chili.
- Add red chilli powder, pinch of turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and a small handful of chopped coriander leaves.
- Give everything a good mix.
- Mix 1 tablespoon maida with 2 tablespoon water to make a thick batter.
- Now take a samosa patti and fold to make a cone and apply the batter to seal the side of the cone.
- To stuff the fillings take a samosa patti and make a cone. Stuff one or two teaspoon fillings inside the cone and sealed with flour batter.
- Make more samosa with rest of the fillings.
- Heat a kadai over medium heat flame and fry them till crisp golden.
- Remove and serve hot.
Onion samosa recipe video
( serving size 1 samosa 35 g)
- Calorie : 140.35
- Fats : 9.75 g
- Protein : 1.59 g
- Carbohydrate : 11.55
Read and make more popular Indian recipes