Dal Pakwan | Sindhi breakfast dal pakwan recipe
Learn how to make dal pakwan recipe at home with step by step instructions and video.
Dal Pakwan is a favourite Sindhi breakfast recipe. It is especially for all the foodies who really loves to cook for their families.
Dal Pakwan is a versatile dish and extremely easy to make at home. If you have been looking for such a easy dal pakwan recipe, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make one of the popular Sindhi breakfast recipe Dal Pakwan.
What is Dal Pakwan?
A traditional Sindhi breakfast combo dish having a spiced dal made from chana dal and pakwan, a crisp deep fried flatbread made from all purpose flour (maida). So Dal pakwan is basically a chana dal served with fried Indian flatbread.
And usually served by topping some chopped onion, green chutney and sweet chutney over the dal.
I have cooked the dal in pressure cooker. You can cook them in a kadai or pan as well. The chana dal should not be cooked too mushy. Yet each dal grain should separate and cooked. The recipe is little bit time consuming but certainly worth the effort. You need to make the dal and the puris. And before serving them, you need the green chutney and sweet imli chutney ready. Everything need to be ready before you serve them. So it is time consuming but once everything is ready its worth the effort you put to make this delicious recipe.
- Dal : Chana dal ( bengal bengal gram) is the main ingredient.
- Spices : cumin seeds, carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, hing powder, amchur powder and garam masala powder (optional)
- Herbs : green chili, coriander leaves and onion
- Chutney : green chutney and sweet imli chutney.
- Flour : Maida( all purpose flour)
- Other ingredients : salt, ghee and cooking oil
Traditionally dal Pakwan is served mainly in breakfast but can also be served in brunch and evening snacks.
- The side dishes that are served along with dal pakwan are chopped onions, green chutney and sweet imli chutney.
- Chopped onion, and the chutneys are topped over the dal and sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot pakwan.
Steps to make the recipe
Cooking the dal
First rinse and soak chana dal in enough water for atleast 2 to 3 hour.
Drain and add in a pressure cooker with 2 cup water. Add a small pinch of turmeric powder.
Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles. The dal should be cooked properly but no mushy. The grains should be separated.
Let the pressure goes naturally then open the lid of the cooker.
You can even cook the dal in a deep vessel pod or kadai. Just make sure the dal is not mushy.
Sizzling the dal
Heat ghee or cooking oil in a pan. When become hot add cumin seeds to sizzle. Then add green chilli and a small pinch of hing powder.
Fry and add turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
Then add the cooked dal into the tadka and mix nicely.
Add some amchur powder and salt as per taste. Cook the dal for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the dal in a serving bowl.
Dough making for pakwan
Take one cup maida in a mixing bowl and add ajwain and salt. Pour 2 tablespoon ghee or cooking oil and mix everything nicely so that the oil mix well with the flour.
Pour water as required and start to knead. Make a semi stiff dough.
Grease with some oil and cover. Keep aside to set for 10 minutes.
Frying the pakwan
After that divide the dough into equal parts and roll them between the palm of hands to make round shape balls.
Dust a ball with flour and start to roll into a round shape circle with a roller pin.
With a fork prick the pakwan all around so that it won't puff up while frying.
Make more pakwan with the rest of the dough balls.
Heat oil in a kadai over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low and carefully add the pakwan into the oil. If the kadai is big enough then add 3 to 4 pakwan and fry till crisp golden on both sides.
Remove in a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil. Fry the remaining pakwan as well.
Serving dal pakwan
Take the cooked dal in a serving bowl. First top the dal with half tablespoon chopped onions. Then top with one teaspoon green chutney and sweet chutney.
Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves over the dal and serve with hot pakwan.
You can read some more popular Indian breakfast recipes
- Appam recipe
- Chole bhature recipe
- Medu vada recipe
- Aloo paratha recipe
- Paneer paratha recipe
- Non veg club sandwich
Dal Pakwan recipe
Dal Pakwan is a traditional Sindhi breakfast combo dish with dal and pakwan. Cooked chana dal is lightly spiced and served with deep fried crisp flatbread pakwan. Green chutney, sweet imli chutney and chopped onion are served with it as a side dish.
Prep time 10 min cook time 20 min serve 4
Author Mobasir hassan
- 1 cup maida ( all purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil or ghee
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds ( ajwain)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or black pepper powder ( optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup Chana dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Small pinch of hing powder
- 2 green chilli ( slits)
- 7 - 8 curry leaves ( optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup green chutney
- 1/4 cup sweet chutney
- Some chopped coriander leaves
- Rinse and soak the dal with enough water for one hour atleast.
- Drain and add the dal in a pressure cooker or deep vessel pod with 2 cup water. Add a small pinch of turmeric powder.
- Cook for 2 to 3 whistles on medium heat flame heat. The dal should be cooked properly and the grains should be separated but not mushy. Remove the cooker and let the pressure goes naturally then open the lid.
- Heat a pan with ghee and fry cumin seeds to sizzle. Add slits green chili, hing powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Trasfer the cooked dal and mix nicely with this tadka.
- Add a small pinch of amchur powder and salt. Cook the dal for another 2 to 3 minutes. Switch of the gas flame.
- In a mixing bowl add maida, ajwain, salt and cooking oil. Mix everything nicely. Pour water slowly and star to knead a semi stiff dough.
- Grease oil and cover the dough to rest for 10 minutes to set.
- After that divide the dough into small round shape balls and roll them into round shape circle.
- Prick them with the help of a fork so that they won't puff up while frying.
- Heat oil in a kadai and when the oil become hot carefully add the pakwan and fry till crisp golden on both sides on medium flame heat.
- Remove them in a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
- To serve the dal pakwan, transfer the dal in a serving bowl. Top with some chopped onion, 1/2 teaspoon of green chutney and 1/2 teaspoon of sweet chutney. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves over the dal and serve with hot pakwan.
Dal Pakwan recipe video
- Calories : 360
- Fats : 4g
- Protein : 6g
- Carbohydrate : 20
- In place of ajwain, you can add cumin seeds in pakwan dough.
- To make the pakwan little bit spicy add some red chilli powder or black pepper powder.
- Paneer tikka masala
- Paneer makhani recipe
- Chicken tikka masala recipe
- Murgh makhani recipe
- Chicken lababdar
- Chicken do pyaza
- Palak paneer recipe
- Kadai chicken recipe
- Paneer butter masala recipe