Chicken do pyaza (murgh do pyaza)
Chicken do pyaza is a popular chicken curry recipe made with onion and tomato based gravy. This chicken curry has its origin back to Mughal era.
This is a easy curry recipe made with bone in chicken pieces. Chicken pieces are first marinated with chilli, salt, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice. This helps to make them soft, succulent and juicy. Bone in chicken gravy has an advantage as juice from bone slowly released in the gravy.
What is chicken do pyaza?
Chicken do pyaza is a chicken curry where onion is used in two different ways. First finely chopped onion are used while making the gravy. Second before removing cubes of onion are added in the gravy and simmered for some time. In do pyaza, do is pronounced as dough which in Hindi means two. And the pyaza means onion.
So due to the uses of two types of onion it is called as chicken do pyaza. Some other theories also suggest do pyaza as double the amount of onion. Like do= double and pyaza= onion.
Chicken do pyaza or murgh do pyaza is popular among north Indian states and can be prepared with bone in chicken or boneless chicken. Due to the uses of two types of onion, this Chicken curry has little bit sweetness in taste.
Tips to make best chicken do pyaza
- Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, chilli powder,salt and lemon juice for at least 20 minutes.
- Use bone in chicken pieces as it releases more juice into the gravy which makes it more taste.
- Cook the chicken in high heat flame for 2 minutes then add water and cook in slow flame heat.
- Use tomato puree and whisked curd in the gravy.
- Chicken do pyaza is best to serve with Indian flat breads like tandoori roti butter Naan and paratha.
- A plate of basmati rice or other flavoured rice like jeera rice also goes well with this
Steps to make the recipe
Marinate the chicken
First wash and clean the chicken pieces nicely and pat them dry completely. Then take the chicken pieces in a mixing bowl and add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, lemon juice and salt.
Mix nicely so all parts of the chicken pieces are well coated with the marination. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to marinate.
Prepare the curd mix
Take half cup whisked curd in a bowl. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Give everything a good mix and keep aside to use in gravy later.
Cooking the gravy
Heat cooking oil in a pan over medium heat flame and add cumin seeds to sizzle. Then add chopped onions and fry till translucent and light brown.
Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off and the onion become brown.
Now pour tomato puree and cook until the tomato puree get cooked properly and oil releases.
Lower the flame to low and pour the curd mixture into the gravy.
Stir continuously and cook until oil releases.
Making do pyaza
Now add the marinated chicken pieces into the gravy and mix well with the masala. Cook them for 2 minutes under high flame.
Pour half cup water and cook for 12 to 15 minutes by covering the pan under medium flame heat.
When the chicken become tender add garam masala powder and salt as per taste. Cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
Now add the onion cubes, slits green chilli and tomato cubes. Cover the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
Open and add a small pinch of kasoori methi. Taste the seasoning and sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves over the gravy.
Remove and serve hot with rice and roti.
More chicken recipe that you can try and make at home are
- Butter chicken recipe
- Kadai chicken recipe
- Easy chicken curry recipe
- Chicken lababdar recipe
- Chicken cafreal recipe
- Hariyali kabab
- Kebab recipes
Chicken do pyaza recipe
Chicken do pyaza is a mild spicy and little bit sweetness chicken curry made with two types of onion in the gravy. Do pyaza means two types of onion.
Prep time 10 min, cook time 20 min, serve 2
Author : Mobasir hassan
- 400 gm bone in chicken pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Small pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup curd (yogurt) whisked
- 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1/3 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/4 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 onion finely chopped
- 2 large tomato pureed
- Pinch of cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tablespoon garam masala powder
- Small pinch of kasoori methi
- 1 medium onion pedals
- 2 green chili slits
- 1 tomato cut into cubes ( optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces nicely and pat them dry.
- Now mix 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, lemon juice and salt. Give everything a good mix and keep aside to marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take the whisked curd in a bowl and add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix everything nicely and set aside to use in gravy later.
- Heat 3 tablespoon cooking oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat flame. Add cumin seeds to sizzle. Then add the chopped onions and fry till translucent and light brown.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes off and the onion become brown.
- Then pour the tomato puree and cook until the tomatoes cooked properly and oil start to leave the sides .
- Now lower the flame of heat and pour the whisked curd mixture into the gravy. Stir continuously and cook until oil releases.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and mix nicely with the gravy. Cook in high flame for 2 minutes then lower the flame to medium.
- Pour half cup water and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or till the chicken pieces become tender.
- Now add the garam masala and salt and further cook covering the pan for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add onion cubes, green chili and tomato cubes. Mix nicely and cook for another 2 minutes by covering the lid.
- Now add a small pinch of kasoori methi and mix well. Taste the seasoning and consistency of the gravy and sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves over the gravy.
- Remove and serve with rice and roti.
Chicken do pyaza recipe video
- Calories : 119.2
- Fats : 5.2 g
- Protein : 12 5 g
- Carbohydrate : 5.3 g
- Marinate chicken for at least 20 minutes for the best result.
- Uses of tomato cubes is optional. You can avoid them in the gravy.
- Whisked the curd nice before pouring into the gravy.