Chilli mushroom | how to make chilli mushroom dry
Chilli mushroom is a popular mushroom snacks recipe prepared by Indo Chinese cooking style. Read below chilli mushroom or mushroom chilly recipe with step by step photo and video.
Mushroom is a popular vegetable and everyone's favorite. And chilli mushroom is for all the foodies who loves mushroom snacks recipes.
Chilli mushroom is a versatile dish and extremely easy to make. And the best part is you can make it like street style or restaurant style. If you have been looking for such a chilli mushroom recipe at home, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make chilli mushroom recipe.
Before we move into the recipe let us have a look at how healthy are mushrooms. Button mushroom which we are using for this recipe is a excellent source of natural Vitamin D which keep bones and immunity system strong. They are also rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer compounds.
What is chilli mushroom?
Chilli mushroom is a mushroom snacks recipe made by Indo-chinese cooking style. Batter coated mushrooms are deep fried till crisp golden and then stir fried with herbs, spices and sauces in high heat flame.
Sauces like red chilly sauce and dark soya sauce are used to flavour it. In this recipe red chilly paste is used to give the dish a nice glossy look like restaurants. If you want to make it more spicy then add some green chili paste.
You can make chilli mushroom without frying but that won't be as yummy as this one.
Mushroom : This recipe goes well with button mushrooms. Take fresh medium size button mushrooms.
Sauces : red chilly sauce and soya sauce
Spice powder : white and black pepper powder.
Vegetables : fresh onion, capsicum and spring onions.
Herbs : garlic, ginger and green chili
Flour : corn flour and all purpose flour (maida)
Other ingredients : cooking oil, salt and red chilly paste for nice glossy color.
Chilli mushroom can be either dry or gravy variations. The popular one is chilli mushroom dry which is largely used as an appetizer or snacks.
Chilli mushroom gravy is generally used as a side dish with fried rice or hakka noodles.
Chilli mushroom are generally served like as it is. At restaurant, chilly sauce, soya sauce and vinegar are accomplished with it.
You can also serve them as a side dish with fried rice or noodles.
Chilli mushroom can be made within 15 minutes which includes ten minutes of mise- en place and five minutes of stir frying.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Coating the mushrooms
Wash the mushrooms under running water nicely to remove any dirt. Then cut them into halves and let them set aside to dry.
In a mixing bowl take 1/3 cup corn flour and 2 tablespoon all purpose flour. Add a small pinch of black pepper powder. Pour water slowly and start to mix. Make a semi thick free flowing lump free batter.
Now mix the mushrooms with this batter and coat them evenly from all sides.
2. Frying the mushrooms
Heat oil in a deep vessel pan or kadai over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot, slowly and carefully add the batter coated mushrooms one by one.
Fry them till become crisp.
While frying, the mushrooms start to release moisture. So fry them till all the moisture evaporated and they become crisp.
If you have a large pan then you can fry them in a single batch otherwise fry in two batches.
Remove them on a absorbent paper or kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
3. Making the sauce
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan or Chinese wok over high heat flame. Add chopped garlic, ginger and green chili. Mix and then add chopped onions. Saute them for a while and add capsicum and onion cubes.
Stir fry them for a minute and then add red chilly paste and red chilly sauce.
Mix everything nicely and then pour about 1/3 cup of water.
Add one teaspoon white pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some chopped green spring onions.
4. Making chilli mushroom
Now add the fried mushrooms, soya sauce and some corn flour slurry.
Give everything a good mix and stir fry them for one minute in medium heat flame.
When the sauce become thick and nicely coated with the mushrooms sprinkle some chopped green spring onions.
Switch off the gas flame and remove the mushrooms in a serving plate and serve hot.
If you love the chilli mushroom recipe then I am sure you would love the following mushroom recipes as well.
Chilli mushroom recipe
Chilli mushroom is a popular snack recipe of mushroom stir fried with chilly soya based sauce with ginger, garlic and other herbs and spices.
Prep time 10 min cook time 5 min serve 2
Author Mobasir hassan
- 200 gm button mushroom
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 green chili slits
- 1 capsicum cut into dice
- 2 White spring onion cut into dice
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chilly paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilly sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Some chopped green spring onions
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour ( maida)
- Small pinch of black pepper powder
- Water as required
- Wash the mushrooms and dry completely. Cut them into halves.
- Make a batter by mixing the corn flour, all purpose flour.and a small pinch of black pepper powder with water as required. Make sure the batter is smooth and free flowing, not watery.
- Now mix and coat the mushrooms with the batter evenly from all sides.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel pan over medium high heat flame. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low and add the mushrooms carefully one by by one. Fry them till crisp golden.
- Remove them in a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil from them.
- For making the sauce, heat oil in a pan or Chinese wok over high heat flame and add the chopped garlic, ginger, green chili and onions. Fry them till the onion become translucent.
- Add capsicum and onion cubes and stir fry them for a minute over high heat flame.
- Lower the flame and add red chilly sauce and red chilly paste and mix well.
- Pour about 1/3 cup water and simmer. Add white pepper powder, salt and some chopped green spring onions.
- Now add the fried mushrooms, soya sauce and corn flour slurry. Mix everything nicely over medium heat flame.
- Taste the seasoning and color, if required add some more soya sauce.
- When the sauce become thick and nicely coated with the mushrooms, spring some more chopped spring onions and remove to serve hot.
Chilli mushroom recipe video
- Calorie : 190
- Fats : 4 g
- Protein : 12 g
- Carbohydrate : 26 g