Chilli chicken gravy recipe
Chilli chicken gravy
Learn how to make chilli chicken gravy recipe with step by steps and video instructions.
Chilli chicken gravy is a popular and widely ordered chicken side dish of Indian Chinese cuisines.
Chilli chicken gravy is versatile and extremely easy to make. And the best part is you can easily make it like restaurant style at your home. If you have been looking for such a chilli chicken gravy recipe then you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make chilli chicken gravy recipe at home.
What is chilli chicken gravy ?
Chilli chicken gravy is a spicy and little bit tangy chicken gravy where batter coated chicken pieces are deep fried and then stir fried in a soya chilli based sauce with some herbs and spices.
It is the gravy version of popular recipe chilli chicken and generally served as a side dish with hakka noodles or Chicken fried rice.
This popular chilli chicken recipe was invented by Nelson Wang during the year of 1975.
The total time taken to make the recipe is under thirty minutes which includes the preparation time of about 15 minutes and less than 10 minutes of cooking time.
Chicken : use boneless chicken breast or legs. At restaurants, chicken leg boneless is generally used. You can even use bone in chicken pieces to make chilli chicken gravy. In fact it taste even better.
Sauces : ref chilli sauce and dark soya sauce.
Spices : pepper powder either black pepper or white pepper powder. To give it more flavour you can use Maggi seasoning or knor seasoning powder.
Herbs : finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic, slits green chili and chopped spring onions.
Vegetables : cube size pieces of capsicum and onion. You can even add red and yellow bell peppers as well.
Others : Salt, cooking oil, egg white and vinegar.
You can modify this gravy by adding some Schezwan sauce into the gravy to make it Schezwan chilli chicken gravy.
Other variation are like using bone in chicken in place of boneless chicken to make it chilli chicken gravy with bone.
Chilli chicken gravy is generally served as a side dish with noodles and fried rice.
Side dishes that goes very well with chilli chicken gravy are
Steps to make the recipe
1. Marinating and coating
Cut the chicken pieces into small cube size pieces. Add them in a mixing bowl and mix with one teaspoon red chilli sauce, small pinch of pepper powder, salt, two tablespoon corn flour, one tablespoon maida and one beaten egg whites.
Give everything a good mix so that the chicken pieces are nicely coated. Keep them aside for 10 minutes to absorb the flavours. Otherwise you can directly fry them.
2. Deep frying
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat flame gas. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low and add the batter coated chicken pieces one by one carefully.
Fry them for 6 to 7 minutes or till crisp golden.
Remove them in a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
3. Making the gravy
Then add the chopped onions and further saute till the onions become translucent but not golden.
If you love chilli chicken gravy recipe then I am sure you would love the recipe of chicken lollipop gravy as well. More recipes that you can make at home are
Chilli chicken gravy recipe
Chilli chicken gravy is a popular Indian Chinese recipe of deep fried chicken, stir fried in soya chilli based sauce with herbs and spices. It is spicy and little bit of tangy, served as a side dish with noodles and fried rice.
- 250 gm boneless chicken
- 1 teaspoon red chilly paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon red chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium onion cut into dice
- 1 green capsicum cut into dice
- 1 green chili ( Slits)
- 1/2 teaspoon green chilli paste ( optional)
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour ( Maida)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onion green
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Oil for deep frying
- First cut the chicken pieces into bite size cubes and mix with half of the red chilly paste, red chilli sauce and a small pinch of salt.
- Then add two tablespoon corn flour, one tablespoon maida and one beaten egg white.
- Give everything a good mix so that the chicken pieces are nicely coated. Keep them aside for 5 to 7 minutes to absorb the flavours.
- Thereafter heat oil in a deep vessel pan over medium heat flame. When it become hot lower the flame to low and add the chicken pieces one by one into the oil carefully.
- Fry them for 5 to 6 minutes or till crisp golden and well done. Remove them in a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Now heat one tablespoon cooking oil in a Chinese wok or pan and fry the chopped garlic and ginger till light brown.
- Add the chopped onions and fry under high heat flame till become translucent. Then add the capsicum, onion and slits green chili. Stir them for one more minute.
- Lower the flame to low and add the remaining red chilli sauce, dark soya sauce, vinegar and red chilly paste. Stir them to mix well.
- Next add a cup full of water and simmer under medium heat flame. Add pepper powder and salt as per your taste.
- Make a slurry by mixing 2 tablespoon corn flour with half cup of water and pour into the sauce. Simmer further till the sauce start to thicken.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces and simmer further till the sauce nicely incorporated with the chicken.
- Taste the seasoning and color of the gravy. If required add some more salt, pepper powder and soya sauce.
- Sprinkle some chopped green spring onions over the gravy and remove to serve hot.
Chilli chicken gravy recipe video
- Calorie : 292
- Fats : 9 g
- Protein : 32 g
- Carbohydrate : 19 g