Fish fry recipe | homemade fish fry
This is an easy homemade fish fry recipe with readily available ingredients from your kitchen. This recipe is without any flour coating. Fish fry is a popular dish in many cuisines around the world. It is a simple dish that you can at the comfort of your kitchen, The key to a good and delicious fish fry recipe is to use fresh fish and to season it well.
There are many different ways to make fish fry at home. The most common method is to pan-fry the fish in oil. However, you can also deep-fry the fish or bake it. The fish can be marinated before frying to add flavour and moisture. Make the crisp fish fry recipe with step by step images and video.
Fish fry is no doubt one of the most sought after seafood recipe in the world. A homemade fish fry is always delicious, yummy and healthy. Marinated fish pieces are pan fried over slow flame heat till become crisp golden. They are excellent as an appetizer and pair well with a side dish too. You can even use them to make some delicious fish curries. It is very important to make a balanced fish fry masala to marinate the fish. Dont use large amount of spice powder like cumin , coriander and garam masala powder. Otherwise these powder will overpower the natural flavour of the fish.
What is fish fry?
Fish fry is popular dish in India which is either deep fried or shallow pan fried till become crisp and golden. Spiced marinated fish either bone-in or boneless or sometimes coated with flours like gram flour or cornflour are shallow or deep fried till cooked. And the fish are typically served with sauce such as green chutney.
Salt water fish or fresh water fish
You should be aware and carefull about the types of fish you are going to fry, Is the fish a fresh water fish or salt water. This is important before making the marination. For salt water fish, use very less amount of salt, just a small pinch as compare to fresh water fish. You can fry the fish either by deep frying or shallow frying. At home we usually fry the fish in a pan by shallow frying method. And this is most preferred method. But in most of restaurants, fish are deep fried like fish finger, fish Koliwada, fish n chip and Amritsai fish fry.
For deep frying fish fry, you need to add some flour like corn flour, all purpose flour,rice flour or gram flour in the marination. But this home style fish fry recipe is without any flour coating. But an easy fish fry recipe.
What are the types of fish to fry ?
There are many different types of fish that can be used in a fish fry recipe. Some of the most popular options include:
- White fish such as cod, haddock, flounder, and halibut. These fish are all relatively mild in flavor and have a firm texture, making them ideal for frying.
- Salmon is another popular choice for fish fry recipes. Salmon has a richer flavour than white fish and is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Shellfish such as shrimp, prawns, and scallops can also be used in fish fry recipes. Shellfish should be cooked quickly to avoid overcooking.
- Oily fish such as mackerel, sardines, and herring can also be used in fish fry recipes, but they should be fried with care to avoid making the oil too smoky.
- Bangda (Indian Mackerel)
What to do with leftover fish fry?
You can refrigerated the leftover fish fry pieces for upto 24 hours in a fridge. Before using them, you can either microwave them or shallow fry in a pan with some cooking oil. Otherwise you can use them to make fish curries like Punjabi fish curry or bengali fish curry. These leftover fish fry really works best in this curries. They can also be used in other variety of ways like you can use them to make fish tacos, fish cake or fish salad.
How long do you fry fish for?
Generally it takes 4 to 5 minutes to fry boneless cubes of fish pieces to become crisp and well cooked. And for a full fish it takes around 7 to 8 minutes to fry and we'll cooked. Typically it depends on the thickness of the fish fillets you are using for the recipe. Make sure that the fish pieces become golden brown in colour and the internal temperature reached around 63 degree.
If you love to prefer lots of masala coated fish fry then make tawa fry masala like Mangalore style. You can read the fish tawa fry recipe to make that kind of fish masala..
Steps to make fish fry recipe
Cutting the fish
If you are using boneless fish fillet then trim them and cut into small cube size pieces and wash properly.
Pat them dry completely using a kitchen towel or tissue paper.
I love fish fry with full fishes. Generally use medium size pomfret or bangda fish. For full fish fry carefully cut and remove all the inner organs and wash them 3 to 4 times to remove all dirt.
With a sharp knife make some small cuts (incision) on both sides of the fish. This cut marks help to marinate the fish properly.
Take the fish pieces or full fish in a mixing bowl and add some ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt. Mix everything nicely and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Turmeric powder has some excellent natural antibiotic properties and whenever I prepare any seafood recipe I definitely use it. And I suggest to use it if you are making any fish or other seafoods.
It can immediately vanish any smell or odour from fish.
In a mixing bowl add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, salt and cooking oil.
Give them a good mix and make a smooth masala paste to marinate the fish.
You can add some chopped curry leaves or cilantro leaves in the marination. I love to use curry leaves which gives an aromatic flavour to the resulting fish fry.
Take the fish pieces one by one and apply this masala evenly from all sides. Similarly if using full fish then apply them on both sides. Make sure the masala enter the cut marks as well.
Keep them refrigerated for 2 to 3 hours to marinate and absorb all the flavours.
Frying the fish
After the marination period, bring the fish and keep at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Heat a pan or tawa over medium heat flame gas with some cooking oil or olive oil. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low.
Now place the fish pieces one by one over the oil on the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
When that side become charred and crisp flip them carefully to other side and cook further for another 2 minutes. Keep the gas flame to low while frying them.
Low flame help to make them crisp and we'll cooked. Fry them by flipping from one side to another till crisp golden and cooked.
Remove them in a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil from them and serve hot.
For full fish fry
Similarly place the marinated full fish on pan or tawa and cook till one side get nicely charred and crisp.
Then flip them to another side and cook further till done and crisp.
Remove and serve hot.
Tips to make best fish fry
- Keep them marinated for atleast one hour to absorb the flavours.
- Don't make the marinated masala watery, a thick masala stay coated while frying.
- Always prefer to use lemon juice to fry fish. It double the flavor.
- Keep the gas flame to low for a well cooked crisp fish fry.
If you love fish fry recipe then I am sure you would love more fish fry recipes like
Yes you can fry fish without any flour. There are some recipes which requires flour to coat them like fish fingers and fish and chips. These are generally deep fried fish recipe. But at home you can comfortably shallow fry or pan fry fish without any flour coating. Fry them on low heat and they will become crisp golden like them.
Fish fry recipe
Fish fry recipe at home with marinated spice masala. Crisp and delicious pan fried fish are excellent as a side dish with curry and gravies.
Prep time 30 min cook time 10 min serve 2
Author Mobasir hassan
- 250 gm fish (pieces or full)
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Small pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1/3 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/3 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 tablespoon salt or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- If using boneless fish fillet then cut them into small bite size pieces and wash nicely. Pat them dry completely using a kitchen towel or tissue paper.
- And if using whole fish then cut and remove all inner organs and wash properly to remove all dirt. Using a sharp knife make some small cut marks on both sides the fish.
- Take the fish pieces in a mixing bowl and add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt.
- Mix everything nicely and keep aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Then pour lemon juice, cooking oil and salt. Give them a good mix and make a smooth masala paste without any lump.
- Now take the first marinated fish pieces and apply this on them nicely one by one.
- For full fish pieces apply the marinate inside the cut marks as well.
- Make sure the fish pieces are coated evenly from all sides. Cover and keep them refrigerated to marinate for 2 to 3 hours to absorb the flavours.
- Bring the marinated fish from the fridge and keep at room temperature for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoon cooking oil in a pan or tawa over medium heat flame gas.
- When the oil become hot lower the flame to low and place the fish pieces carefully one by one.
- Fry the fish pieces for 2 minutes then flip them to another side carefully and cook further for 2 minutes.
- Fry them for 5 to 6 minutes by flipping from one side to another till they become crisp and nicely browned.
- Remove them on a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil and serve immediately.
- Similarly you can fry the full fish on the pan. Flip them similarly and fry till both side become crisp brown. A full fish fry takes around 7 to 8 minutes for well cooked.
Fish fry video
Serving size 100 g Indian Mackerel (bangda)
- Calorie : 305
- Fats : 25 g
- Protein : 19 g
- Carbohydrate : 0
- You can add some besan(gram flour) in second marination to deep fry them.
- While shallow frying (pan fry) keep the heat flame to low for a crispy fish fry.
More popular recipes you can try and make at home.