How to make golden fried prawns
Golden fried prawns is a mildly spiced and batter fried prawns dish which is golden in color. Usually jumbo or king size prawns are used to make the recipe and paired with sweet chilly sauce dip. Here I bring you the best golden fried prawns recipe with step by step guide with photos and video. This is a restaurant style recipe and I hope you can easily make it at your home. Before we jump into the recipe, let us look at how healthy and beneficial eating prawns are. Prawns contains vitamins and minerals like Calcium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin A, vitamin E and significant amount of B6, B12 and niacin. They are rich in Iron also. Prawns are loaded with protein, low in calories and fats. They are also rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
What is golden fried prawns?
Golden fried prawns are popular prawns snacks or starter made by deep frying batter coated prawns till golden in color. Clean and devein prawns are coated with a batter made up with all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder, sugar salt and pepper powder. These batter coated prawns are then deep fried in oil till become golden.
Time required to make
The total time required to make the recipe is under 20 minutes which includes the preparation time 10 minutes and cooking time 10 minutes. The marination period is excluded here which may vary from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
Prawns does not take much time to cook. A medium size prawns take 3 to 4 minutes, big size prawns take 5 to 7 minutes and jumbo prawns take 7 to 8 minutes to cook.
What to serve with it?
Sweet chilly sauce is the preferred dip for this. You can serve tartar sauce, green chutney or cocktail sauce with it as well.
What types of prawns is best for the recipe?
Jumbo prawns or king size prawns are best for the recipe. And they are mostly preferred at restaurant also. Medium size prawns ( 22 to 24 pieces per kg) can also be used. Big size prawns look beautiful after frying with the batter. You can use shrimps as well to make the golden fried shrimp.
Ingredients required to make
- Prawns : jumbo prawns or king size prawns is best for the recipe.
- Spice powder : white pepper powder and seasoning powder like aromat. Garlic powder or ginger powder can also be used to flavour it. It depends upon your choice.
- Flour : all purpose flour ( maida) and corn flour.
- Other ingredients : some salt, sugar, baking powder and oil.
- Egg : it is optional.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Peel and clean
If you have brought fresh prawns then you need to peel and devein them. Otherwise frozen prawns are ready to use. It is pretty easy to peel and devein prawns. First take a prawn on one of your hand then peel the shell starting from the leg parts. Just pull the shell upward one by one.
Then pull the head gently extract from the prawns. Similarly pull the tail part as well.
Now with a sharp knife make a slit around the prawn curve and extract the yellowish and greenish vein using the sides of the knife. Wash them under running water to remove the remaining vein and dirt.
Repeat the same procedure to peel and devein the remaining prawns. Wash them nicely and pat dry completely.
2. Making the batter
To make the batter for golden fried prawns, take all purpose flour in a mixing bowl and add corn flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, white pepper powder, seasoning powder and beaten egg. Pour water slowly and mix everything to make a lump free batter. The batter should not be thin or thick. Keep it in medium thick consistency. Adding egg is totally optional. It can enhance the golden color of the dish. Seasoning powder like Aromat from Knorr, Maggi is wisely used to increase the taste and flavor. This is the simple batter we use at restaurant for the recipe.
You can add some more ingredients like garlic and ginger powder and finely chopped chill to adjust the taste accord ing to your preference. Using red chilly sauce can damage the golden color for the dish.
3. Marinating the prawns
It is important to keep the prawns in the batter for atleast 15 to 20 minutes to absorb the flavours. The longer you keep them marinated the more flavor they would become after frying.
Before adding the prawns into the batter, make sure that they are completely dry. Add them and mix nicely so that all parts of the prawns are evenly coated with the batter. Cover and keep them marinated.
4. Frying the prawns
Heat some cooking oil in a deep vessel pan over medium heat flame gas and when the oil become hot lower the heat flame to low. Add the batter coated prawns one by one carefully into the oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or till become golden brown. After that remove them on a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
Fry the next batches of prawns like this way. Garnish a serving plate and serve them hot with sweet chilly sauce.
Here is the video you can watch on for better understanding
Golden fried prawns recipe video
If you love prawns recipe then I am you would love the following related prawns recipes as well.
Golden fried prawns recipe
Golden fried prawns are a popular prawns snacks or starter made by deep frying marinated batter coated prawns till become crisp golden. It is a mild flavoured
Prep time 10 min cook time 10 min serve 2
Author mobasir hassan
- 10 -15 prawns
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning powder (aromatic)
- 1/2 tablespoon beaten egg
- Water as required
- Cooking oil for frying
- Peel the prawns and devein them. Wash and pat them dry completely.
- In a mixing bowl add the all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder, sugar, white pepper powder, seasoning powder, salt, and beaten egg.
- Pour water and mix everything evenly to make a lump free batter. Make sure the batter is not watery.
- After that add the prawns into the batter and mix nicely so that the prawns get coated evenly from all sides. Cover and keep aside to absorb and marinate.
- Heat some cooking oil in a deep vessel pan over medium heat flame gas. When the oil become hot lower the heat flame to low.
- Now carefully add the batter coated prawns one by one into the oil and fry till become crisp golden. Fry them for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove them on a absorbent paper or kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil from the prawns.
- Garnish a serving plate and serve with sweet chilly sauce.
- Calorie : 30
- Fats : 1 g
- Protein : 2 g
- Carbohydrate : 3 g
- Adding egg into the batter is optional.
- Before frying the prawns make sure that the oil is not too hot.
- You can add some sauce of your choice to flavour the prawns but it will damage the golden color of the dish.
- Seasoning powder are commercially available in store. Popular brands like Knorr or Maggi seasoning powder are preferably good choice.