Tandoori Momos recipe
How to make Tandoori momos
These tandoori momos can even be cooked in Oven, over gas top and in a air fryer too. If you have been looking for such a tandoori momos recipe then you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make tandoori momos at home with photos and video.
What is Tandoori Momos?
Tandoori momos is one of a variety of traditional momos which are marinated with tandoori masala and cooked over charcoal fire tandoor.. They are crisp and charred from outside and soft and juicy from inside. Spiced fillings either of vegetables or chicken are wrapped into different shaped baskets inside thin layered rolled dough balls. These baskets are then deep fried till crisp golden and cooked by marinating with tandoori masala over charcoal fire.
What to serve with these momos?
The best way to serve these momos are with green chutney (mint sauce). At restaurant we serve three different types of chutney with tandoori momos. Spicy momo chutney or Schezwan sauce, sweet chilly sauce and green chutney.A fresh salad can also be served with them.
How to freeze them to use later?
Tandoori momos can be freeze for up to 7 to 10 days in deep freezer. If you are planning for a make ahead option for this then you can easily do that. Just try to avoid onions while making the fillings. Fry the momos till they are 50% done. Remove and cool down as soon as possible. When the momos become cool completely place them inside a sealed packed container or zip lock bag. And place inside the freezer.
Before using them keep at room temperature for 10 minutes and heat oil at medium hot flame fire. When the oil become hot place the momos carefully one by one and fry till become golden. After cool down, marinate and cook over charcoal fire or gas top.
How to reheat the leftover tandoori momos?
If you have leftover tandoori momos which are kept at room temperature for more than 2 hours then it is not recommended to reheat them. You should discard them and made fresh one.If they are kept at room temperature for less than 2 hours or at below 5 degree celsius then reheat them in a microwave for 2 minutes or stir fry in a pan for one minutes at high flame gas temperature. Make sure the inner part of the momos reached a temperature above 65 degree celsius or above.
Can steam momos be used to make the recipe?
Steam momos can be used to make tandoori momos as well.You do not need to fry them just marinate with tandoori masala paste and cook in an Oven or tawa.
Time required to make the momos
The total time taken to make the recipe is under 50 minutes which includes a preparation time less than 35 minutes and cooking time less than 15 minutes. This recipe yields around 15 to 20 momos.
Tandoori momos recipe video
Ingredients required to make the recipe
For making the dough
- 1 cup flour ( maida)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- A small pinch of salt
- Water as required
- 1 cup grated or shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped or grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated Paneer
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 4 tablespoon chopped onion
- Small pinch of black pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- Some chopped green spring onion
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon hung curd
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon chat masala
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil or cooking oil
- Some crushed fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 1 tablespoon kashmiri red chilli paste
Steps to make Tandoori Momos
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan on medium flame heat. When the oil become hot add the chipped garlic, ginger and onion and fry for 1 minute or till the onion become translucent.
- Add the cabbage and carrot and stir fry for 1 minute under high heat flame. Then add the grated paneer and mix them with the veggies nicely. Cook for one more minute.
- Add pepper powder, salt and soya sauce. Stir everything nicely for one more minute. Remove in a plate and let the mixture to cool down completely.
- Now take the flour in a mixing bowl, add salt and oil. Give them a good mix. Pour water little by little and start to knead the flour. Knead into a semi stiff dough by adding water as required. Grease some oil and cover the dough with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes to set.
- Now take the dough and knead for a minute then divide them into small equal size balls. Take a dough ball, dust with some flour and roll into a one and half inch round shape circle with a roller pin. Keep the outer edges as thin as possible. Roll more dough circle with the rest of the dough balls..
- Now take one rolled dough on the palm of your left hand and place two tablespoon vegetable fillings at its centre. With your right hand start to pleat the momos. Join all the pleats one after another right from the start. After that join them at the centre by moving the momos clockwise. This will help to bring a nice shaped momos. Repeat with the rest of the dough and fillings to make more momos.
- Therefore heat oil in a kadai or deep vessel pan under medium heat flame gas and when the oil become hot carefully add the momos one by one into the oil. Fry them till become light golden and crisp. Keep the gas flame medium to low. Remove them on a absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil. Allow them to cool down as soon as possible.
- Make tandoori masala paste by mixing all the spice ingredients one by one with the curd and whisk everything nicely so that it become smooth. Taste the seasoning and if required add some more seasonings.
- Now dip these fried momos in this above prepared tandoori masala and keep marinated for 6 to 7 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
- Afer the marination period you can cook these tandoori momos either in an Oven or over gas stove or in a air fryer. Cooked them till they are crisp and golden.
- If you dont have oven or tandoor then you can easily cook them either on gas top or non stick pan or tawa. To roast them over gas you can use small size iron shewers or wooden sticks. And if using wooden sticks then soaked them in water for 15 minutes before threading the momos. This will help the sticks not to get burnt while cooking over the gas.
- Take a shewer or stick and start to thread the marinated momos one by one. Keep a minimum gas in between them while threading.
- After threading all the momos, start to cook them by placing the shewer over medium flame gas fire. Rotate the shewer carefully and cook all the momos till become nicely charred and dry.
- Now remove the cooked momos on a plate and serve hot. If using a pan or tawa, you dont need to thread them on shewer or wooden sticks just heat a pan with one tablespoon oil till become hot. Then add the marinated momos on the pan by removing excess marination from them. Keep the gas heat flame low while cooking them. Do not over crowded the pan with momos, add 4 to 5 momos at a time and cook from all sides till nicely charred.
- Similarly bake them in an oven too or air fry them in a air fryer till crisp golden.
- Serve these delicious tandoori momos with your favorite dip like green chutney or spicy momos chutney or schezwan sauce.
- Calorie : 21
- Fats : 1g
- Protein : .1 g
- Carbohydrate : 2g