How to make vegetable seekh kabab
Seekh kabab is one of the most popular kabab around the world and love by all section of the society. It is basically made with meat like lamb, beef or chicken. But the huge popularity of this has given birth to a vegetarian version known as veg seekh kabab.
Veg seekh kabab is versatile, yummy and extremely easy to make at home with readily available vegetables from your pantry. And the best part is you don't even need a tandoor to cook them. You can bake them in Oven or grill them on a tawa or non stick pan. If you have been looking for such a veg seekh kabab recipe, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the best veg seekh kabab recipe with step by step guide.
What is veg Seekh kabab
Veg Seekh kabab or vegetable seekh kabab is a cylindrical shaped kabab made by using different types of vegetables like beans, carrot, cauliflower and green peas. These vegetables are either finely chopped or minced and mixed with spices, flour and bread crumbs. Then placed on shewers in cylindrical shaped and cooked till become crisp golden.
Seekh Kabab has its root in the middle eastern countries and spread in country like India, Afganistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
In India, they are widely known and popular in Lucknowi and Punjabi cuisines.
Veg seekh kabab recipe video
Ingredients required to make it
Vegetables : popular vegetables used to make it are french beans, carrot, cauliflower, green peas and potato.
Herbs : coriander leaves and green chilli
Spices : garam masala, cumin powder, chat masala and salt
Flour : corn flour or rice flour
Bread crumbs : fine quality bread crumbs
Optional ingredients : paneer. You can even substitute potato with paneer. Using paneer in seekh kabab can make it more nutritious.
You can serve them hot with restaurant style green chutney, onion slices and tomato sauce.
The total time taken to make the kabab is under 30 minutes which includes the preparation time of around 20 minutes and cooking time of around 10 minutes. Veg seekh kabab recipe doesn't require to marinade like chicken seekh kabab or lamb seekh kabab.
Steps to make the recipe
Take a sharp grater and start to grate the cauliflower head first. After that grate the carrot as well. If you want to add some other vegetables then grate them as well.
2. Making the puree
Make a smooth and fine puree of the green peas. Make sure the puree is not watery. If using frozen green peas then throw and drain. And if using fresh green peas, boil them for 5 minutes and drain. Make the puree if required add very less quantity of water.
Similarly blanch the spinach leaves and make a smooth puree without adding any water
3. Saute the vegetables
Heat a kadai or pan over medium heat flame with two tablespoon cooking oil. When the oil become hot lower the heat flame to low. Now add the grated cauliflower and carrot and saute for two to three minutes under medium heat flame.
Next add the green peas and spinach puree and saute further for 3 to 4 minutes by mixing everything nicely. When the mixture become little bit dry switch off the gas flame and transfer the vegetable mixture in a mixing bowl. Let the mixture cool down completely.
4. Making vegetable dough
When the mixture cooled, add garam masala, cumin powder, green chilli paste, chat masala and salt. Then add grated paneer, corn flour and bread crumbs. You can add boiled potato as well instead of paneer. Or use both of them.
Now start to mix them nicely to make a smooth dough without sticking to hands. If required add some more bread crumbs to adjust the texture of the vegetable dough.
5. Threading seekh kabab
Divide the vegetable dough into small round shape parts. If using wooden sticks then soaked them in water for thirty minutes. Now take one vegetable ball and start to place over a stick in cyldrical shape carefully. You can wet your palm while placing the vegetable over the stick or shewers. Similarly make more veg seekh with the rest of dough balls.
6. Making the seekh kabab
Traditionally seekh kabab are cooked over charcoal fire tandoor. But you can cook them over a tawa or pan and in an Oven.
Iron shewers are used while cooking them in tandoor. You can use wooden sticks or satay sticks to cook them in oven and tawa. Soak them for 30 minutes before threading. This will help the sticks not to get burnt while cooking.
Heat a tawa or pan over medium heat flame with half tablespoon cooking oil or ghee. When it became hot lower the heat flame to low and place the veg seekh sticks on the tawa and roast them one minute.
There for rotate the sticks and cook from all sides till become crisp golden. It would take around 3 to 4 minutes to cook them completely. Remove them and serve hot with green chutney.
You can remove the seekh kabab from the sticks and cut them into small pieces to serve.
Similarly you can bake them in a oven too.
If you love veg seekh kabab recipe then you can try and make some more seekh kabab recipes from below.
Veg seekh kabab made with vegetables like cauliflower, carrot, green peas and spices like garam masala, cumin powder, green chilli.
Prep time cooking time serving
20 min 10 min 2
Author :- Mobasir hassan
Author :- Mobasir hassan
- 1 medium size carrot
- 1 medium size cauliflower
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 medium size boiled Potato
- 50 gm Paneer ( optional)
- 1/3 cup palak paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon green chilli paste
- Salt as per to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chat masala
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves
More popular snacks recipes
- Grate the cauliflower and carrot. Make a smooth paste or puree with the green peas and spinach.
- Heat some cooking oil in a pan over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot lower the heat flame to low and add the grated cauliflower and carrot. Saute them for 3 minutes under medium heat flame. Then add the green peas and spinach puree.
- Mix everything nicely and saute further for 4 to 5 minutes or till the mixture become little bit dry.
- Switch off the gas flame and transfer the vegetable mixture in a mixing bowl and let them to cool down completely.
- After that add garam masala, cumin powder, green chilli paste, grated paneer, chat masala and salt. Then add corn flour and bread crumbs.
- Mix everything nicely to make a smooth dough. Make sure that the dough is not sticky. If required add some more bread crumbs.
- Now divide the vegetable dough into small round shape parts and thread on a wooden stick in cylindrical shape.
- Heat a tawa with little oil. When the tawa become hot lower the heat flame to low and place the veg seekh sticks on it.
- Cook for one minute then rotate the sticks and cook further from all sides till become crisp golden.
- Remove and serve hot with green chutney. You can remove the seekh from the sticks and cut into pieces to serve.
- Similarly you can bake them in oven or tandoor till become crisp.
- Preheat Oven at 240°C for about 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
- Place the shewers on the tray and then inside the oven. Grill them for 15 minutes or till become crisp golden.
- Remove the baking tray from the Oven and then remove the veg seekh from the shewers carefully. Cut them into pieces and serve. Similarly you can grill them on a tawa or pan.
- Using tandoor : take iron shewers and place the vegetable ball over it. And start to cover the shewers by slowly pressing the vegetable mixture to cover the shewers.
- Place the shewers inside a preheated tandoor and cook for 7 - 8 minutes or till crisp golden.
- Remove the shewers from the tandoor. Then carefully remove the veg seekh from the shewers with the help of a kitchen towel.
- Cut them into pieces and serve hot with green chutney.
(serving size 1 no)
- Calories :- 60
- Fats :- 1 g
- Protein :- 1 g
- Carbohydrate :- 8 g
- Use of paneer is optional. It can enhanced the taste of the veg Seekh Kebab. If you are making a Jain veg Seekh Kebab then use paneer in place of potato. Avoid using carrot also for Jain veg Seekh Kebab.
- Corn flour bind all the mixture together. You can use rice flour instead of it as well.
- While handling the shewers use a kitchen towel.