Chicken Seekh Kabab recipe
Chicken Seekh Kabab | juicy and soft seekh kabab recipe
Chicken Seekh Kabab is a popular mince kabab which is versatile, yummy and extremely easy to make. And the best part is you can make them like restaurant style at home. If you have been looking for such a chicken seekh kabab recipe, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make chicken Seekh Kabab recipe at home.
What is Chicken seekh kabab ?
Chicken seekh kabab is basically a minced kabab or keema kabab comes in a cylindrical shape. Ground chicken are spiced with different spices powder and herbs and then placed on a Shewer in cylindrical shape. And are cooked in a tandoor or bbq till become tender, juicy and succulent.
Before we jumped into the recipe let us look at how healthy Chicken seekh kabab is.
Chicken has high protein content which play an important role in sustaining body muscle. It also helps in weight loss in healthy way as it is basically a lean meat with less fats. Also helps in healthy bones.
Chicken Seekh Kabab are considered as healthy because they are not deep fried. Very less amount of oil or no oil is used while preparing them. Any extra oil present get burnt while cooking them over open fire.
They get cooked using their own juice over slow flame fire. Seekh Kabab with salad, green vegetables are always a heathy option.
Chicken mince : chicken leg mince is the preferred choice for making a soft and juicy seekh kabab. You can use ground chicken breast but the resulting kabab would be dry.
Spice powder : Commonly used spices like red chilli powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and black pepper powder.
Herbs : Herbs are the most important ingredient for a tasty seekh kabab. Use finely chopped onion, ginger and garlic. Fresh mint and coriander leaves are must in any seekh kabab recipe.
Other ingredients : Salt, chat masala and butter or ghee.
Chicken seekh kabab are generally served with green chutney, lachcha onion and lemon wedges.
Other side dishes that goes well with it are butter naan, rumali roti and other flat breads.
You can even serve this juicy chicken seekh over a plate of flavoured rice like pulao or biryani.
A plate full of fresh salad is my favourite choice and a healthy combo with this kabab.
The most popular variations for chicken seekh kabab are chicken Gilafi Seekh Kabab and chicken malai Seekh Kabab.
In chicken Gilafi Seekh Kabab different chopped vegetables like capsicum, bell peppers and onions are applied and covered the seekh kabab. Whereas in chicken malai seekh kabab, grated cheese and cream are used while kneading the mince. Less amount of spice powder are used.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Ground the chicken
First roughly chopped the chicken and then add them in a food processor or mixer jar.
Ground them nicely without any big chunks. Make sure the mince ( keema) is smooth and uniform.
If you have a meat mincer then add them in small portions and mince ( keema) them.
2. Marinate the ground chicken
Take the chicken mince in a mixing bowl and add chopped ginger, garlic, onion, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
Thereafter add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chat masala, salt and black pepper powder.
Pour lemon juice over the mince and start to knead by mixing everything nicely.
Add one tablespoon butter or ghee and give a final mix. Keep them refrigerated for 2 to 3 hours to marinate and absorb all the flavours.
3. Threading on Shewer
Before threading the chicken mince, wet the palm of one hand. This will help to smoothly place the chicken mince over the Shewer and the mince won't stick to hands.
Divide the chicken mince into small equal parts. Take one mince part with wet hand and place over a iron Shewer in cylindrical shape by pressing the mince lightly. Make sure it cover the Shewer from all sides.
Thread the remaining ground chicken parts like this.
4. Cooking the seekh kabab
You can cook chicken seekh kabab either in a charcoal tandoor, bbq grill or in an Oven. Tawa or griddle can also be used.
In tandoor or griller use long iron shewers and in oven use small size iron shewer or wooden sticks.
For Chicken Seekh Kabab in Oven, Preheat Oven around 240° C and line a baking tray with aluminum foil. If using wooden sticks then soak them in water for 30 minutes. Now place the mince chicken shewers over it.
Place the tray inside the oven and bake them for 15 to 20 minutes or till they become tender.
Remove the tray in the middle of cooking and brush some butter or ghee and rotate them to another sides.
Similarly place the shewers inside a preheated tandoor and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or till become crisp and tender. Brush butter and rotate the shewers while cooking.
Tips to make best Seekh Kabab
- Use Chicken leg boneless for the mince to make soft and juicy seekh kabab. The extra fats present in chicken legs make it juicy. Your seekh kebab become dry due to the uses of breast boneless, over cooking and not brushing them with butter or ghee.
- You can stop seekh kabab from breaking while cooking by adding one beaten egg in the mince mixture. Sometimes a seekh kabab also breaks while placing them on a Shewer. It happens due to extra moisture present in chicken mixture. Add some fresh Chicken mince and knead again. Don't use onion paste instead use chopped onions.
- You can make seekh kabab stick to Shewer by avoiding too much fats and onion paste. Use finely minced chicken.
- Use lemon juice in marination to make them more juicy.
- If you don't have any Chicken fats then use some butter or ghee in the mince mixture.
Chicken Seekh Kabab recipe
Prep time 15 min cook time 10 min Serve 5
Author Mobasir hassan
- 200 gm Chicken leg boneless
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1/3 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper powder
- 1/4 tablespoon chat masala
- 1/4 tablespoon salt or as per taste
- Small handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Small handful of chopped mint leaves
- 2 butter cubes or 2 tablespoon ghee
- Roughly chopped the chicken leg pieces and add in a food processor or mixer jar.
- Ground them nicely. Make sure the chicken pieces are finely minced.
- Remove them in a mixing bowl and add chopped ginger, garlic, onion, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chat masala, salt, black pepper powder and lemon juice.
- Now star to knead everything nicely so that all the spices get well incorporated with the mince chicken.
- Add one butter cube and give the Chicken mince a final mix. Keep it refrigerated for 2 to 3 hours to marinate and absorb the flavours.
- After the marination period, bring the chicken mince out of the refrigerator and start to thread on iron shewers.
- Before starting to thread, wet the palm of your hand and places some mince chicken over the Shewer in cylindrical shape. Make sure it cover the Shewer from all sides.
- Repeat the same with the remaining mince.
- Now place the shewers in a preheated tandoor or over a BBQ grill. Cook them for 6 to 8 minutes or till they become tender and crisp.
- Brush some butter or ghee over the seekh kabab while cooking them.
- Similarly you can cook them in an Oven also. Preheat the oven to 240° C for about 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place the shewers over it.
- Now place the tray inside the oven and bake them for 15 to 20 min or till well done.
- Remove the baking tray in the middle of baking and brush some butter over the shewers and rotate them to another side.
- Serve them hot with green chutney.
Chicken Seekh Kabab recipe video
( serving size 1 piece = 155 g)
- Calorie : 234
- Fats : 12 g
- Protein : 25 g
- Carbohydrate : 8.5 g
Read more kabab recipes