Chicken 65 is versatile, yummy and extremely easy to make and the best part is you can make it like restaurant style at the comfort of your kitchen. If you have been looking for such a chicken 65 recipe, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make chicken 65 recipe like restaurant style at home.
What is chicken 65
Chicken 65 is a spicy deep fried chicken dish from South India Boneless chicken pieces are marinated in a yogurt based marination And mix with beaten egg and flour and deep fried till crisp golden. Chicken 65 can be served as a dry preparation by seasoning the fried chicken with garlic, curry leaves and black pepper powder. or as a gravy ( saucy) preparation by seasoning and tossing with yoghurt red chilli powder mixture, curry leaves , cumin seeds, mustard seeds and Kashmiri chilly whole.
Before we jumped into the recipe let us share some interesting facts about Chicken 65.
What is 65 in Chicken 65 ?
There are many theories regarding the origin of Chicken 65 rumouring around. The most popular one suggest that in Chennai there was a gentleman named A M Buhari invented and introduced this in 1965 in his hotel Buhari.
Other suggest that it was served in an Army canteen in South India and was item no 65 on menu card.
The Army people didn't know local language and while ordering called it chicken 65.
Some suggest that it took 65 days to perfect the dish and also 65 varieties ingredients used to make it.
Ingredients required to make
Chicken : generally chicken leg boneless are preferred to make it. Chicken breasts are also good to use.
Spice powder : red chilli powder, ground coriander and black pepper powder.
Curry leaves : the main ingredient for this recipe.
Yoghurt : good quality less sour curd is ideal for the recipe.
Whole spices : cumin seeds, mustard seeds and whole kashmiri red chilly.
Oil : any good quality vegetable oil.
Garlic : finely chopped
Other ingredients : one beaten egg, corn flour or rice flour and ginger garlic paste.
The popular variations are Chicken 65 dry and chicken 65 gravy (saucy).
Restaurant style chicken 65 are saucy as it is is stir fried with yoghurt based spices. Which is like Hyderabadi Chicken 65.
And the dry one is stir fried with garlic, mustard seeds, green chili and curry leaves after deep frying the chicken.
Steps to make the recipe
Cut the chicken pieces into small bite size pieces and mix with ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, chopped curry leaves, 1/2 tablespoon yoghurt, one beaten egg and corn flour. Give everything a good mix so that the chicken pieces are well coated with the mixture. Keep them marinated for 45 minutes.
Mix one teaspoon red chilli powder, salt and black pepper powder with the half cup of yogurt. Whisk everything finely and set aside to later use.
Heat some cooking oil in a deep vessel pan or kadai over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low. Now carefully add the marinated chicken pieces one by one and fry till crisp golden. Remove them in absorbent paper to absorb any excess oil.
Heat oil in a wok or pan over medium flame heat. Then add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Saute till the mustard seeds cracks. Add the dried red chilly and then ginger garlic paste and further saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes off.
Now add the fried chicken pieces and mix well with the spices . Then pour the yogurt chilli mixture over the chicken.
Increase the gas flame and stir fry everything in high flame for 2-3 minutes or till the chicken pieces become dry and well coated. Switch off the flame and remove them in a serving plate and serve hot.
Dry chicken 65
To make chicken 65 dry avoid to toss them with yoghurt Chilli mixture.
After deep frying the chicken pieces, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and fry chopped garlic , curry leaves and slits green chili for 30 seconds. Then add the fried chicken and stir fry nicely so that the spices coat well. Sprinkle some black pepper powder and remove and serve.
Keto chicken 65To make the keto chicken 65 we need to replace the flour with either coconut powder, almond powder or Psyllium Husk.
Psyllium Husk is better compare with coconut or almond powder as it can give the perfect crisp texture of the chicken. For more details you can watch keto chicken 65 recipe video from Keto chicken 65
If you love the recipe of chicken 65 then I am sure you would love the recipe of Chicken lollipop gravy recipe and Chicken koliwada recipe as well.
Chicken 65 recipe
Chicken 65 is a spicy deep fried chicken dish from southern part of India. Deep fried chicken pieces are tossed in a yogurt based spices with curry leaves, mustard seeds and dry red chilly. It can be prepared as chicken 65 dry, chicken 65 gravy and keto chicken 65.
Prep time cooking time serving
20 min 8 min 2
Author :- Mobasir hassan
- 200 gm chicken leg boneless
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon yoghurt or vinegar
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup corn flour or rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- oill for deep frying
For stir fry
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2-3 Dried red chilly
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt ( curd)
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil or ghee
For chicken 65 dry
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 - 3 slits green chili
- 6 - 8 curry leaves
- small pinch of black pepper powder
How to make the recipe
- First cut the chicken pieces into small bite size pieces and mix with ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder curry leaves, yoghurt, egg and corn flour.
- Mix nicely so that chicken pieces coat well with the marination. Let them marinate for 45 minutes.
- Whisk half cup of the yogurt with 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, small pinch salt and pepper. Keep aside to use later.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel pan or kadai in medium flame and when hot fry the marinated chicken pieces till crisp. You can fry them in two batches.
- Remove them in a napkin to absorb any excess oil.
Making Chicken 65
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Fry them till the mustard seeds cracks.
- Now add the dried red chilly and ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces and mix well with the masalas.
- Pour the whisked spiced yoghurt into the chicken pieces.
- Increase the gas flame and stir fry them for 2 - 3 minutes or till the chicken pieces get well coated with the yoghurt marination.
- When the yoghurt mixture dried and the chicken pieces become saucy switch off the flame and remove.
- Garnish and serve saucy Chicken 65 or chicken 65 gravy.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a pan or wok and fry the chopped garlic, slits green chili and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and mix well to coat evenly with them.
- Sprinkle the black pepper powder into the chicken pieces and remove.
- Serve chicken 65 dry hot.
- Mix the chicken pieces with grated ginger, garlic powder, red chilli powder ( paprika), ground coriander, curry leaves, black pepper powder, beaten egg and Psyllium Husk.
- Coat them evenly and keep marinated for 45 minutes.
- Heat oil and deep fry them till crisp golden.
- You can serve it now as a dry keto chicken 65. Or stir fry with spiced yoghurt to make saucy keto chicken 65
Chicken 65 recipe video
serving size = 1 plate
- Calorie :- 436
- Fats :- 14 g
- Protein :- 53 g
- Carbohydrate :- 22 g
- In this recipe I have used Corn flour. You can use Rice flour as well.
- Don't use sour yogurt in the recipe. If it is sour then balance it with adding a pinch of sugar
Read more healthy chicken recipes like