Easy Gobi ( Cauliflower) Manchurian
Gobi Manchurian recipe
How to make cauliflower (Gobi) Manchurian at home with step by step photos and video. Gobi Manchurian banane ki recipe.
Gobi Manchurian are everyone's favorite. These crispy fried gobi manchurian are for all the foodies who love desi Chinese.
Gobi manchurian are sweet , little bit spicy and tangy. And extremely easy to make at home at the comfort of your kitchen. If you are looking for such gobi manchurian recipe at home, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide to make the best gobi manchurian recipe at home.
What is Gobi Manchurian?
Gobi Manchurian can be defined as crispy fried cauliflower florets tossed in a sweet, tangy and spicy manchurian sauce.
Batter coated cauliflower florets are first deep fried and then stir fried in manchurian sauce which is made with soya sauce, vinegar and chilly sauce. A Info Chinese dish that can be prepared in two ways as Gobi manchurian dry and gobi manchurian gravy.
Dry gobi manchurian is generally served as an appetizer or snacks. We are going to prepare gobi manchurian recipe restaurant style with gobi manchurian dry ( saucy) and gobi manchurian gravy.
Gobi Manchurian was invented by a small Chinese community lived in Kolkata since British rule of India. Many credits it to Nelson Wang of Chinese descent and founder of famous restaurant in Mumbai Kemps Corner.
How to make manchurian sauce
Manchurian is a easy and popular sauce use in many dishes like veg manchurian balls, chicken manchurian and cabbage manchurian.
To make this sauce, first fry chopped ginger and garlic in a pan or wok till light brown. Add chopped onions and fry them till the onion become translucent. Pour little water and simmer for a while then add dark soya sauce, red chilly sauce, green chili paste, salt and white pepper powder. Simmer for a minute. Make a corn flour slurry and pour. Cook the sauce for another minute or till become thicken.
You can add red chilly paste to make the sauce glossy. And schezwan sauce to make it more spicy and flavourful.
Gobi Manchurian baked
This delicious gobi manchurian can be baked in an Oven too. If you are someone who don't prefer deep fried foods then this is the best way to enjoy this yummy baked gobi manchurian. Below I am sharing how to make baked Gobi Manchurian.
- First boil the cauliflower florets till 50% done. Drain and Pat dry them completely.
- Now make manchurian sauce as described below steps by sauteing chopped ginger, garlic and onion. Add red chilly paste, salt and pepper powder.
- Pour little water and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add boiled cauliflower florets and stir to mix with the mixture. Then pour 2 to 3 teaspoon corn flour slurry into the mixture and simmer till thicken.
- Now pour the 1 teaspoon dark soya sauce and mix well and remove in a baking tray and baked for 8-10 minutes till crisp. This is how you can make baked Gobi Manchurian.
Gobi manchurian dry is generally served as an appetizer or snacks. It has all the saucy flavour in it like sweet, tangy and spicy. As a side dish it goes well with hakka noodles and fried rice.
Similarly gobi manchurian gravy is served with noodles and fried rice.
Steps to make gobi manchurian
Boiling the cauliflower florets
Clean the cauliflower and cut the florets into medium bite size pieces around one inch long.
Then boil the them in water for 3 minutes till 50% cooked. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt while boiling the cauliflower.
Drain the florets and spread them in a tray to dry up completely. There should not be any moisture in the Gobi otherwise it will become soft while frying.
Making batter and frying
Meantime make medium thick batter using corn flour and all purpose flour in a mixing bowl and add water little by little to make a lumps free medium thick batter. Add salt and white pepper powder into the batter.
Now mix the cauliflower florets into the above prepared batter and mix well to coat evenly from all sides. If necessary add more corn flour and Maida to coat them properly.
Heat oil in a deep vessel pan or kadai in medium flame heat.. When the oil become hot add the batter coated Gobi one by one into the oil and deep fry them till crisp golden. You can fry them in two or three batches.
Heat some teaspoon oil in a wok or deep vessel pan and add chopped ginger and garlic and saute in high flame for 30 seconds.
Then add chopped onions and saute further till the onions become translucent. Add red chilly paste into the above mixture and saute further. Then pour little water and simmer for 1 minute. Keep the heat in medium flame.
Now add the fried cauliflower florets into the mixture. Add salt, white pepper powder and soya sauce. Stir and mix them nicely.
Mix a teaspoon of corn flour with 1/4 cup of tea water and pour over the above mixture. Corn flour slurry will make the sauce thick. You can pour few drops of water to make the sauce sticky.
If you love the recipe of Gobi Manchurian gravy recipe then I am sure you will love the recipe of Chilli chicken gravy recipe as well.
Try more such yummy delicious Chinese recipes
- Chicken fried rice recipe
- Chilli chicken gravy
- Chicken manchurian
- Chilli mushroom
- Cauliflower Manchurian fried rice
- Chilli paneer recipe
- Masala chicken lollipop recipe
- Honey chilli potato recipe
- Exotic vegetables in hot garlic sauce
Gobi manchurian recipe
Gobi manchurian is a Indo Chinese dish made by deep frying cauliflower florets and tossed with manchurian sauce. It can be made as a gobi manchurian dry and Gobi manchurian gravy recipe.
Prep time cooking time serving
20 min 10 min 2
Author :- Mobasir hassan
Author :- Mobasir hassan
- 250 g cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cup corn starch or flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (Maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep frying
For Manchurian sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped spring onion
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- First cut the cauliflower into one inch bite size.
- Boill them for 3 minutes or till 50% done. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt in water while boiling.
- Drain them and place in a tray to dry them completely.
- Make a lumps free batter using corn flour and all purpose flour. Mix salt and white pepper.x
- Mix the cauliflower florets into the batter to coat evenly.
- Heat oil and fry them till crisp golden.
- Remove them in a kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a wok or pan and fry the chopped ginger and garlic in high flame for 30 seconds or till the light brown.
- Add chopped onions and fry them till translucent.
- Mix the red chilly paste and pour 2 - 4 teaspoon water and simmer.
- Now add the fried cauliflower florets white pepper powder, salt, red chilly sauce and dark soya sauce. Mix them to coat nicely. Keep the heat flame at low.
- Pour corn flour slurry (1 teaspoon corn flour mix with 1/3rd cup of water) over the cauliflower florets.
- Give them a fine mix and simmer till the sauce start to thicken.
- Taste the seasoning and if required add some salt and pepper.
- When the sauce become dry and well coated with the cauliflower, switch off the flame.
- Pour some chopped spring onions and remove to serve the dry cauliflower manchurian.
Making Gobi Manchurian gravy recipe
- After sauteing the onion, pour one cup water and simmer for 1 minute in above step 3.
- Add the salt and white pepper powder. You can add 1 teaspoon green chilli paste to make it more spicy.
- Now add the fried cauliflower florets and simmer for 1 minute.
- Mix soya sauce, red chilly sauce with them.
- Now pour corn flour slurry slowly into the gravy and simmer.
- The gravy now start to thicken. Check the seasoning and thickness of the gravy.
- If required add some salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onions over the gravy and mix
- Remove and serve gobi manchurian gravy hot with noodles and fried rice.
Gobi Manchurian recipe video
Nutritional value (estimate only)
- Calories :- 295 cal
- Carbohydrate :- 32.2 g | Fats :- 17.5 g
- Saturated fats :- 1.9 g
- Protein :- 5.3 g | Fiber :- 5.4 g
- Sugar :- n/a
- Gobi Manchurian dry served as an appetizer or snacks. You can served sweet chilly sauce along with a plate of Gobi Manchurian.
- Serve it as a side dish along with some noodles and veg fried rice.
- In place of red chily paste you can use red chilli powder (cayenne pepper) . Red Chilly Paste is used to give it a desired colour.
- You can directly fry the cauliflower florets without boiling them. For that you need to fry them in slow fire . But it is recommended to boil them first then fry them.
- If you want to make the recipe a GLUTEN FREE then use rice four instead of all purpose flour in the batter. Replace the regular dark soya sauce with a gluten free soya sauce.