How to make paneer bhurji
Paneer bhurji is a popular vegetarian dish made from finely grated paneer, onion, tomato and other spices. This is an easy and simple paneer recipe that you can make within 20 minutes.
Paneer bhurji is everyone's favorite. This bhurji is versatile and delicious. And the best part is, you can make it within a twenty minutes of time period. If you been looking for a yummy and delicious paneer bhurji recipe, you have come to the right place. Here I bring you the step by step guide on how to make paneer bhurji recipe at home easily.
What is paneer bhurji ?
The term bhurji means scrambled, so the dish paneer bhurji means scrambled paneer. A perfect Savory, tangy spiced mixture made of onion, tomato, green chili, ginger garlic and other spices is used to mix with the scrambled paneer.
The term bhurji is also associated with some other popular dishes like Egg bhurji and Bhindi bhurji. So it can be defined as scrambled paneer with onion, tomato and other spices.
Before we jumped into the recipe, let us look at how nutritious this paneer bhurji is. Paneer a dairy product has many health benefits which includes, rich in protein, can strengthen bone and teeth, maintain blood sugar levels, good for heart health and boost weight loss.
Paneer bhurji ingredients
Paneer : use soft and good quality malai paneer. Make sure your paneer is not hard. If possible use a homemade for the best bhurji recipe.
Onion and tomato : take medium size fresh tomato and onion. Chopped them.
Spice powder : red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Make sure to use good quality brands spice powder.
Ginger garlic paste : try to use homemade ginger garlic paste which gives more flavour.
Other ingredients : cumin seeds, green chili, coriander leaves, salt and cooking oil.
Pav, bread rolls and slices of bread also work fine. In breakfast this paneer bhurji is often served with pav like bhurji pav.
Tips to make best paneer bhurji
- Use a good quality paneer. If possible use homemade paneer.
- For the best result use finely grated paneer to make the recipe.
- Don't cook the paneer for longer time otherwise the bhurji will become chewy and hard.
- Keep the final dish little bit moist before removing to serve.
Steps to make the bhurji with pictures
1. Grate the paneer
We generally love to have a paneer bhurji with smooth and soft texture. If you like to make paneer bhurji restaurant style then grate the nicely without any lumps. We have seen many well known chef's who advice to use grated paneer to make paneer bhurji. If you use crumble paneer them the masala spices won't get well incorporated with the paneer and you don't get that uniform texture for paneer bhurji.
So grate the paneer nicely with a grater.
2. Make the masala
Heat 2 teaspoon cooking oil in a pan over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot add the cumin seeds to sizzle. Then add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell goes.
Add chopped onions and fry till they become light brown over medium high flame heat.
If you to make the paneer bhurji spicy then add some chopped green chillies and fry.
Next add turmeric powder, red chilli, coriander powder, garam masala. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 seconds under slow flame.
Now add chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook till the tomatoes become soft and messy over medium heat flame.
If you prefer to make paneer bhurji without tomato then at this step avoid to add tomato into the spice masala to make paneer bhurji without tomato.
3. Cooking paneer bhurji
When the tomatoes become soft and messy add the grated paneer and mix nicely so that all the spice masala are well mixed with the paneer.
Cook them for around 2 minutes under slow heat flame. Cooking paneer for long time can make them hard and chewy. So better to cook them under 2 minutes.
Add some fresh chopped coriander leaves into the bhurji and give a final mix.
Squeeze some lemon juice over the bhurji and remove to serve hot.
In the above step after cooking the tomatoes with spices you can add half cup of water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to make a gravy. Then add the grated paneer into the gravy and cook for more 2 minutes to make paneer bhurji with gravy. You can have this with rice as well.
Paneer bhurji with capsicum
In some places chopped capsicum is used to make paneer bhurji with capsicum. The bhurji looks more colourful and eye catching. In the above step add some chopped capsicum while adding tomatoes. Rest of the steps are same to make paneer bhurji with capsicum.
In some certain community faith foods like onion, ginger and garlic are prohibited, you can make a paneer bhurji jain by avoiding to use onion and ginger garlic in this recipe. For that after frying cumin seeds, add the chopped tomatoes and cook. Then add the spice powder and grated paneer to finish the dish.
Paneer also known as cottage cheese is one of the most popular food item in India. This paneer bhurji(Cottage cheese bhurji) is loved by kids as well. It is hugely popular in northern states like Punjab where most dhaba served it with tandoori roti and Naan.
Paneer bhurji recipe video
If you love the recipe of paneer bhurji then you would love the below paneer recipes as well.
- Paneer butter masala recipe
- Paneer kulcha
- Malai paneer tikka
- Paneer tikka masala recipe
- Chilli paneer recipe
- Paneer paratha
- Matar paneer
- Paneer pakora
Paneer bhurji recipe
Paneer bhurji is a popular dish made finely grated paneer, onion, tomato and some spices. This paneer bhurji recipe is best to serve with homemade chapati and roti.
Prep time 10 min, cook time 10 min serve 2, Author : Mobasir hassan
- 200 gm paneer
- 2 medium size onion finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lemon wedges
- Chopped coriander leaves small handful
- First grate the paneer nicely without any lumbs in a plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoon cooking oil in a pan over medium heat flame. When the oil become hot add the cumin seeds and fry to sizzle. Then add the ginger garlic paste.
- Fry the ginger garlic paste till the raw smell goes off. Add chopped onions and fry for 3 minutes or till they become light brown under medium heat flame.
- Add the chopped green chili and fry for a second. Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- Give everything a good mix and cook for 2 to 3 seconds under slow flame heat.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and messy under medium heat flame. Stir continuously while cooking the tomatoes.
Making paneer bhurji
- When the tomatoes become soft add the grated paneer and mix nicely with the masala spices.
- Cook them for 2 minutes by stirring nicely so that all the spices get well incorporated with the paneer.
- Then add some chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Keep the heat flame to medium low after adding the paneer.
- Squeeze the lemon wedges over the paneer bhurji and give a final mix.
- Switch off the flame and remove the paneer bhurji in a serving bowl to serve hot.
- Calorie : 423
- Fats : 29 g
- Protein : 20 g
- Carbohydrate : 21 g
- Paneer bhurji is generally served with flat bread like tandoori roti, butter naan and Paratha.
- Some homemade phulka and chapati are a good combination to serve.
- Paneer bhurji can also be served at morning breakfast with pav as bhurji pav.
- You can serve rice with paneer bhurji gravy as well.
- Use fresh and good quality paneer
- Avoid to use green chili if making it for kids.
- Always try to use grated paneer to make paneer bhurji.