Butter Naan Recipe
Butter Naan Recipe at home
Learn to make butter naan and garlic butter naan recipe at home with step by step instructions and video.
Butter Naan are everyone's favorite. And they especially are for all foodies.
Butter Naan is soft, yummy and extremely easy to make. And the best part is you even don't need a tandoor to cook it. If you have been looking for such butter naan recipe without tandoor, you have come to the right place. Here you can read the step by step guide to make butter naan in stove top using a tawa ( griddle).
Before we jumped into the recipe let's know some facts about the Naan. Many believe Naan like kababs that came from Persia, was developed by Persian and the Mughals
However the first recorded history of Naan found in the notes of the Indo-Persian poet Amir khusrau, dates this unleavened bread to 1300 AD.
The word Naan comes from the Persian word, non, for bread.
Generally Naan dough is leavened using Yeast or baking powder and baking soda.
Some popular variations of Naan are
- Plain Naan
- Gilafi naan
- Butter Naan
- Garlic Naan
- Cheese Naan
This Butter Naan Recipe uses ingredients such as
- All purpose flour (maida), traditionally all purpose flour is used to make butter naan. As a healthy alternative you may add some whole wheat flour but the texture be a bit different
- Baking powder and baking soda, these helps in leavening the dough.
- Yoghurt and milk, the dough for butter naan is kneaded with milk and curd which makes it soft
- Nigella seeds (kalonji) and cilantro leaves optional ingredient but can add some flavour.
- Other ingredients are salt, sugar, vegetable oil and butter.
Total time taken to make this butter naan recipe using tawa takes about just under 40 minutes. This includes twenty-five minutes of preparation time and ten minutes of cooking time. Talking of optional thing, this butter naan does not add any eggs, so it is entirely vegetarian.
Butter Naan is such a popular bread that it can pair with anything quite easily. Almost all indian curries and gravies are excellent with butter Naan.
Butter chicken, paneer butter masala, chicken tikka masala and chicken lababdar are few that are excellent to serve with this.
Some kababs like chicken tikka, chicken malai kabab, chicken reshmi kabab and chicken hariyali kabab are also good to have with a butter naan.
Steps to make butter naan
In a mixing bowl add all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Mix them nicely. Then add yoghurt and milk. Pour water slowly and start to knead everything. Make a soft palpable dough.
Now grease some oil and knead further to make it a non sticky. Cover and keep aside for ten minutes to set.
After that divide the dough into small equal parts and roll them between the palm of hands to make round shape balls. Keep the balls aside for five minutes to set.
Take a dough ball and dust with some flour. Press the ball slightly with finger tips and start to roll with a roller pin.
First roll it in a small circular shape then roll in length wise around 5 to 6 inch long and 3 to 4 inch wide.
While rolling the naan dough ball, you can top it with some Nigella seeds and chopped coriander leaves.
Or sprinkle some chopped garlic to make garlic naan.
You can even give this butter naan a lachcha like shape by making pleats of the dough.
For restaurant style butter naan in stove top, a heavy cast iron tawa is the best option to use. A non stick pan wouldn't give you the same texture as of restaurant.
Heat a tawa over medium high heat flame. When it become hot, grease one side of the rolled naan dough with some water and place that side on the tawa. If possible apply some force while placing it on the tawa. It help to appear bubbles quickly.
Otherwise press the edges lightly.
Cook the naan for one minute or till small bubbles start to appear.
Then flip the tawa and place over the gas flame. Cook over the gas flame directly till small brown spot appears over the naan.
After that flip the tawa back on the gas stove and cook for another one minute.
The back of the butter will become crisp golden like restaurant style.
Remove and serve hot with your favourite chicken tikka masala.
You can also use a tong to roast the naan over the gas flame. When small bubbles appears on the naan, remove it from the tawa with a tong and cook over the gas flame.
If you love this Naan Recipe then j am sure you would love more such bread recipes like
You can make a gilafi naan using the above naan dough. Before we proceed to make the gilafi naan recipe, let's first figure out what is gilafi in gilafi naan?
The tern gilaf means cover. And gilafi means covering. We need to cover anything to make gilaf or gilafi. Like we coverIng a pillow or covering a sword. Similarly we need to cover the naan also. This is a Mughlai cuisines recipe like gilafi seekh kabab.
So to cover or gilaf the naan, nuts like pistachio or almond are used in gilafi naan recipe. So gilafi naan can define as a triangular shape naan cover or gilaf with chopped pistachios or almonds.
To make this naan first make some small round shape dough balls with the above naan dough. Then grease some oil or ghee over them and press gently and fold to make triangle shape dough.
Dust with flour and roll into a flat triangular shape naan like tawa paratha. Top this triangular naan with chopped pistachios and cover fully.
Now cook them like we cook our regular naan in a tandoor or tawa as shown above. Apply butter or ghee and serve gilafi naan.
Butter Naan Recipe
Butter Naan is a popular Indian flatbread made with all purpose flour (maida). Make this soft and fluffy butter naan at home on tawa.
Prep time 20 min, cook time 15 min, serve 5
Author Mobasir hassan
- 2 cup Maida ( all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 1/3 cup yoghurt (curd)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Butter cubes for brushing
- Water as required
- 1 tablespoon Nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Some chopped coriander leaves
Making dough for butter naan
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Mix them nicely. Add yoghurt and milk. Then pour water slowly and start to knead. Make a soft and palpable dough.
- Grease the oil and knead further for 2 minutes. Make sure the dough is not sticky. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes to set.
Making dough balls
- After 10 minutes divide the into small parts and roll them between the palm of hands to make round shape balls. Let them to set for 5 minutes.
Rolling the dough balls
For butter naan
More popular Indian recipes you can make at home
- Take a dough ball and dust with some flour. Then with a roller pin roll into round shape thin circle. Grease some oil over it and sprinkle flour on it. Now start creating pleats by folding with the help of fingers. Stretch the pleated dough and roll like a Swiss roll. Secure the end by pressing gently. Keep it to rest to set for 5 minutes.
- After that apply some flour and start to roll in oval shape around 5 to 6 inch long and 3 to 4 inch wide.
For garlic butter naan
- Dust a dough ball with flour and roll into a small round shape circle. Then place some finely chopped garlic over it and sprinkle few chopped coriander leaves.
- Press them gently and roll again in length wise around 5 to 6 inch long and 3 to 4 inch wide. Make it like oval shaped.
Making butter naan
- Heat a tawa (griddle) over medium high heat flame. When the tawa become hot, grease some water over one side of the rolled butter naan dough and place over the tawa. Keep the water side down on the tawa.
- Press the edges lightly and when small bubbles start to appear flip the tawa and place over the gas flame.
- Cook it for 2 minutes or till small golden spot appears over it. Now flip the tawa back on the gas stove and cook further for a minute.
- Remove and apply butter over the naan and serve hot with curries and gravies.
Making garlic butter naan
- After rolling the garlic butter naan dough, apply some water on back side of it and place that side on the hot tawa. And press it from all sides.
- Cook it for one minute or till small bubbles appears.
- Now flip the tawa and place over the gas flame and cook the garlic butter naan.
- When small brown spot appears and the naan become nicely cooked flip the back on the gas stove. Cook for 1 minute and then remove to serve hot buyer garlic naan.
Butter Naan Recipe Video
( serving size 1 = 97 g)
- Calorie : 313
- Fats : 11 g
- Protein : 8.7 g
- Carbohydrate : 45 g