Chicken momos recipe
Chicken momo recipe with step by steps photos and video. Learn how to make best Chicken momos from scratch with details. This is a restaurant style recipe where I have used sesame oil and food wine( rice vinegar) to enhance the flavour of the momos. These delicious momos are steamed using a wooden momo basket.
This is a quick chicken momo recipe that can be served within 30 minutes. You can even store the leftover for upto to 3 to 4 days in freezer after cooking them completely. Make these momos at home and enjoy.
Momos are small basket shaped snacks whose outer layer is made up with flour(maida) and filled with either mixed vegetables or chicken or pork with some herbs and spices. Generally momos are steamed and served with a spicy sauce or chutney.
Momos are everyone"s favorite and healthy as well. And the best part of the recipe is that you can easily make them at home like street style or restaurant style with few ingredients. If you have been looking for such a momos recipe then you have come to the right place. Here i bring you the easy and best chicken momos recipe with step by step guide.,
What is Chicken momos?
Chicken momos are a popular street snack, a basket shaped dumpling whose outer layer is made up with flour and inside a spiced ground chicken fillings with herbs.They are steamed till perfectly cooked and served with a spicy sauce called momos chutney.
Where was momos invented
It is believed that these momos are invented during 14 th century by Newar community in Kathmandu valley, Nepal. And later introduced to Tibet and China from this Newar community.
Ingredients required to make
- Ground Chicken or Chicken keema
- Flour (maida)
- Onion, garlic and ginger
- Soya sauce, pepper powder
- Salt, sesame oil, spring onion
- vegetable oil
Now a days you can get different types of momos like tandoori momos, deep fried momos and baked or grilled momos.
Steps to make chicken momos
Dough making for momos
For the dough you only need all purpose flour (maida), salt, oil and water. Momos dough are little bit hard compare to roti or chapati dough. Because it holds the stuffing inside it and if loose, it may break down while steaming.
Mix salt and oil with maida and pour water slowly to make a little bit hard dough. Next grease some oil over the dough and cover to set for 10 minutes.
Filling making for momos
For best chicken momo recipe you need to make a perfect fillings with proper ingredients. You can either use leg chicken mince or breast chicken mince. I have used the breast chicken mince as it can be easily make at home with a mixer grinder.
Take the chicken mince in a mixing bowl and add chopped onions, garlic, ginger, green spring onions, sesame oil, rice vinegar, dark soya sauce, salt and black pepper powder. Keep the salt amount low as dark soya sauce also contains salt. You can even add some chopped coriander leaves into the mince mixture.
To make spicy chicken momos add green chilli paste. To give it a restaurant style flavour I have used sesame seeds oil and rice vinegar ( food wine). Sesame oil gives chicken momos a nice aromatic flavours. In place of sesame oil and rice vinegar you can use cooking oil or white vinegar.
Shaping the momos
Momos can be made in different types of shapes. There is no hard and fast rules for shaping the momos. Whatever design you like you can shape them. If you are a beginner then choose to shape them simple way. After making them for one or two times you can definitely do much better.
Before starting to roll, knead the for one more minute then divide them into small round shaped balls.
Take one ball and roll into two inch diameter circle if required dust with some flour while rolling.
Place a small portion of the chicken fillings in the centre and bring one part of the edge at the centre. Now start pleating the edges completely, press and seal it. This the easiest way to shape a momo. You can give them different shapes.
Steaming the momos
How to cook chicken momos at home?
Generally momos are cooked by steaming but you can fry them as well to make fried chicken momos. In some places you can even get tandoori momos.
I am cooking the momos by steam. For that you can use a idli steamer or a wooden momo basket to steam them. If using idli steamer then grease with oil and place the momos over the plate and close the lid. Steam under medium heat flame for 15 minutes to done.
And if using a wooden momo basket then place banana leaves of cabbage leaves over the basket and grease with some oil. Then place the momos over the leaves. Close the basket.
Place the basket inside a steamer and cook for 15 minutes. And if you don't have a steamer then take a deep vessel pan or any kitchen utensil and fill with some water. Place any stand inside the water and heat under medium flame.
When the water start to boil place the momo basket over the stand and cover the utensil with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes or till done. The momos become transparent and shiny and if you touch them they are not sticky. These are the sign of well cooked momos.
Momos without a steamer
If you don't have a idli steamer or momo basket then you can use a steel appliances like bowl and place some cabbage leafs or banana leaves over it. Grease with some oil and place the momos.
Now place the bowl over the stand and cover the water filled utensil with a lid. Cook on medium slow flame for 15 minutes.
Chicken momo recipe video
Chicken momos chutney
Momo are generally serve with a spicy red tomato garlic chutney known as momo chutney. In some places schezwan sauce or hot garlic sauce are also served along with momos.
To make the tomato garlic chutney for momos use
- 2 - 3 medium size tomato,
- 2 - 3 seedless kashmiri chilly
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- a small pinch of salt and
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
Boil the tomato with kashmiri chilly till become soft. Drain and cool down. Remove the skin and seeds from tomato and add in a mixer grinder jar with garlic, kashmiri chilly, salt, black pepper,sugar, salt and vinegar. Grind them into a fine paste. Serve these chutney with the momos.
Chicken Cheese Momos
This is a popular type of chicken momos variation where the momos are filled with grated cheese, mince chicken and herbs. You can easily make chicken cheese momos at home with the above step by step method. You only need to add one cup grated cheese with the above fillings. Just keep the amount of salt less as compare with chicken momos. Chicken cheese momo can be made by using grated processed cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese or grated parmesan cheese. Mix the grated cheese with the mince chicken and other spices and fill to make the momos.
Fried chicken momos
To make fried chicken momo, you can either directly fried the them after filling with chicken mince. Fry them on medium heat flame till they become crisp golden.
Or steam them till cooked to 50% and then fry till crisp golden.
Similarly you can make tandoori chicken momos as well by mixing the momos with tandoori red masala paste. First make the chicken momos and deep fried them till crisp golden then mix with tandoori red masala evenly from all sides.
Heat a non stick pan and grease some oil then add the tandoori masala coated momos in the pan and fry till all the become dry. Remove and sprinkle some chat masala and serve them.
You can even thread those momos in a shewer and roast them in a charcoal tandoor or in an oven.
You can even use tandoori chicken pieces cut into very small pieces or make mince and stuffed them as a fillings. This is how you can make Tandoori chicken momo as well.
More related recipes
- Veg manchurian recipe
- Chicken triple rice
- Chicken manchurian
- Chilli mushroom
- Chilli chicken gravy
- Chicken hakka noodles
- Exotic vegetables in hot garlic sauce
Difference between momo and dim sums
- Momos are generally made using refined flour or all purpose flour but dim sums can be made refined or any four or any kind of starch like potato starch.
- Momos are originated from Tibet whereas dim sums are a product from China.
- All momos are dim sums but all dim sums are not momos
Chicken momos are dumplings made from all purpose flour with fillings inside of spiced chicken mince. They are served with a spicy red tomato garlic chutney.
Prep time cooking time serving
10 min 15 min 2
Author Mobasir hassan
For the dough
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- Small pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup chicken mince
- 6 - 7 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger root finely chopped
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar ( food wine)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon maggi sauce ( optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onions
- Salt as per taste
- Small amount of chopped coriander leaves ( optional)
- Making the dough for chicken momos
- Take the all purpose flour in a mixing bowl and add salt and half teaspoon oil. Mix them nicely and then pour water little by little and start to knead the dough.
- Make a palpable semi hard dough. Apply the remaining half teaspoon oil over the dough and knead again.
- Cover the dough and keep rested for 10 minutes to set.
- Take the mince chicken in a bowl and add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped onion, chopped spring onions, dark soya sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, salt and black pepper powder. Give everything a good mix.
- Now take the dough and knead again for one minute then divide into small round shaped balls. With a roller pin roll them into a 2 inch diameter circular shape having a thin crust.
- Now place a small portion of spiced chicken fillings in the centre of a circular rolled dough and bring the edges together making pleat. Join them and seal.
- Make more momos with different shapes from the remaining rolled dough.
Making the chicken momos
- Place banana leaves or cabbage leaves over a bamboo steamer basket and grease with some oil. Then place the momos over the leave and cover the basket.
- Boil water in a steamer or deep vessel over medium heat flame and place a stand over it.
- Now place the momo basket over the stand and cover the steamer or vessel with a lid and steam for 15 minutes or till the momos looks translucent and shiny.
- Remove the lid and open the momo basket. Check them by touching and if they don't stick then they are cooked completely.
- You can directly serve them with the momo basket or transfer them in a serving plate and serve with momo chutney or schezwan sauce.