How to make Tandoori Prawns (shrimps) recipe
Learn how to make delicious tandoori prawns at home like restaurant style with step by step guide. Smoky and tender prawns just so good with the perfect mint sauce aka green chutney.
You can cooked this prawn recipe in an Oven or on gas top as well.
Prawns are also known as jhinga in India can be prepared using tandoor , tawa and oven . Tandoori prawns or jhinga recipe is very popular and goes perfectly well with your drinks as well.
You can use tiger prawns or king prawns to make the recipe of tandoori tiger prawns or tandoori king prawns.
Similarly with shrimps we can make tandoori shrimps recipe. And if you want to make then little bit spicy then increase the amount of red chilli powder or use green chili paste in the marination.
Prawns is one of the healthiest seafood loved by all over the world. Prawns is also known as shrimps but they have few differences. Like their size, prawns are big compare to shrimps. And they are little sweet in taste than shrimps.
There are many health benefits of prawns if you include it in your diet. They are the main source of high quality protein includes all nine essential amino acids in the right portion for the body to function.
Prawns are rich source of Vitamins B-6 , B-12 and Niacin, which helps build muscle, give energy to body and replenish red blood cells.
Eating prawns helps build strong bone as they contains phosphorus, copper and magnesium. They are also rich in Iron.
Prawns have low cholesterol levels. And they are rich source of Selenium, which is one of most effective antioxidants.
For more healthy seafood recipes
- Fish Tikka recipe
- Squid fry
- Surmai fry
- Fish fry recipe
- Pomfret fish tawa fry recipe
- pomfret fry recipe
- fish fingers recipe
- Bombil (Bombay duck) fry recipe
- Tandoori crab
- Tandoori Pomfret
- Hariyali kabab
Cooking over charcoal Tandoor is one of the healthy and hygienic method . Because there is very less amount of oil is used and the food is cooked in it's it' juice over slow flames. Also it gives you a smoky flavours.
You can use shrimp also in place of prawns to make a spicy shrimp recipe.
Steps to make tandoori prawns
Peeling and cleaning
Marinate them using half of the lemon juice, chilli powder and salt. If you want spicy shrimps then increase the amount of chilli powder (cayenne pepper) for the recipe.
Take a mixing bowl, add the yogurt, red chilly paste, ginger garlic paste, cumin powder, turmeric powder,carom seeds, garam masala,chat masala and salt . Mix them very well using a Whisk. Add the remaining oil and lemon juice and mix.
These mixture is known as Tandoori masala which is used to marinate and cook the prawns.
To know more about how to make tandoori red masala check the below link :-
How to make Tandoori masala
Mix the first marinated prawns with this tandoori masala and let it refrigerated for 60 minutes to marinate and absorb all the flavours. You can keep them marinated for overnight as well for the best results.
Cooking the prawns
In charcoal tandoor
Take a iron shewer and thread them into the Shewer one by one leaving a small gaps in between them.
Now place the Shewer inside a preheated tandoor and cooked for about 7 minutes. Apply some butter while cooking the jhinga at a regular intervals to keep them moist if necessary.
When the prawns become crisp golden from all sides remove them from the shewer and serve .
Serve hot squeezing some lemon juice and chat masala over them. They goes best with green mint chutney.
Prawns are generally get cooked in short time.
Prawns are generally get cooked in short time.
Tandoori prawns in Oven
You can cook them in an Oven also. Preheat the oven to 240°C for 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
If using wooden sticks then soak them in water for 30 minutes. Or if using small iron shewers then start to thread them one by one keeping a minimum gap in between them. This will ensure that they get cooked evenly from all sides.
Now place the shewers or sticks over the tray and then inside the oven and cook for 15 minutes or till they become crisp golden. Brush some butter while baking at a certain interval.
When they become crisp golden remove and garnish them in a serving plate and serve hot with green chutney, lemon wedges and onion slices.
Tandoori prawns using tawaAlternatively you can cook tandoori prawns on a tawa or non stick pan easily at your home.
Before cooking the prawns on tawa , remove and discard excess marinate from the prawns.
Heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil on the tawa in high flame to make it non sticky for about half a minute. When the oil become hot lower the flame to low and place the marinated prawns or jhinga one by one on the tawa and cook for 1 minute.
After that flip the prawns to another side and cook for another 1 minute.
Cook them in this way for about 7 to 8 minutes or till all the moisture evaporated and the prawns become dry crisp and we'll cooked.
When the prawns become crisp golden on both sides remove them and start to cook next batches of prawns.
How long can you marinate prawns for ?
Generally when we prepare any tandoori foods, it is best to marinate them for at least 3 to 4 hours to absorb all the flavours. Similarly for prawns also, it is best to marinate them for 3 hours or overnight.
How long do I need to cook prawns ?
Prawns doesn't take much time to cook. If you boil them then it hardly take 3 to 4 minutes. And while cooking them in tandoor it take 6 to 7 minutes to get cooked with the masala.
And in Oven also 6 to 7 minutes is sufficient for cooking the prawns. Similarly in pan fry it take 3 to 4 minutes.
Tandoori prawns recipe
Cleaned deveined prawns or shrimps are marinated in yoghurt based marination known as tandoori masala. Then they are cooked using Oven or charcoal tandoor or gas top method. These crisp golden prawns are served with green mint chutney.
Prep time cooking time serving
15 min. 8 min. 2
Author :- Mobasir hassan
Author :- Mobasir hassan
- 6 - 8 pieces of medium size Prawns
- 2 teaspoon greek yogurt ( thick)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds ( ajwain)
- 1/4 teaspoon chat masala ( optional)
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/3 teaspoon clarified butter
- Salt as per taste
- First we need to peel and deveined the prawns. You can buy a ready to use prawns for the recipe.
- Remove the head and legs from it with your finger. Peel the shells from it.
- You can even remove the tail by squeezing it.
- Using a small sharp knife make a slit along the middle of the back of the prawns to expose the black colour vein.
- Now under running water wash and clean the prawns and remove the vein.
- Pat them dry completely using a napkin or kitchen towel.
- Mix half of the lemon juice, red chilli powder and salt with the prawns. Keep them as a first marination for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl mix all the remaining ingredients with yoghurt and whisk them nicely to make tandoori masala.
- Now mix these tandoori masala with the prawn nicely and marinate for at least 1 - 3 hours.
Making the tandoori prawns
- Using Oven :- if you use wooden sticks then soaked them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the Oven at 240°C for at least 15 minutes and line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place a rack over it.
- Bring the marinated prawns and start to thread the prawns one by one in the shewer. Keep a minimum gap between them while threading.
- Place the tray inside the oven and grill them for 10 minutes.
- After 7 minutes remove the tray and brush some butter over the prawns and place the shewer over the rack and cook for last 3 minutes or till crisp golden.
- Serve them hot sprinkling some chat masala over them with green mint chutney or sauce.
- Below you can read how to cook the prawns using a charcoal tandoor and over a Tawa or pan.
- Calories :- 163 kcal
- Fats :- 5g | saturated fats :- 3 g
- Carbohydrate :- 3 g | protein :- 25 g
- Fiber :- 1 g
- You can serve green chutney ( cilantro mint sauce) with tandoori prawns or shrimp. Lachcha onion and lemon wedges are also served along with it.
- Though it is served as an appetizer or snacks, you can served it along with your main course as a side dish also. It goes well with fish curry and steam rice as a side dish.
- Tandoori garlic naan or butter naan are often served along with it.
- While cooking the prawns using oven or tawa or pan , discard the excess marination.
- It is good to use a kitchen towel while handling the Shewer.
- Kashmiri chilly paste is used give it the desired colour. It is not hot and spicy.
- It is recommended to use carom seeds while cooking seafoods . Carom seeds are good digestive agents.